First cradle that I've seen

Discussion in 'HP iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld' started by DavidBrighthand, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidBrighthand

DavidBrighthand Mobile Evangelist

2. neillm

neillm Mobile Deity

Thanks for the link :)

It's a pretty poor showing when HP gets beaten to releasing a cradle by a 3rd party vendor.

3. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

A nice find, David.

4. DavidBrighthand

DavidBrighthand Mobile Evangelist

Credit where credit is due. I've got it from cmtomlin @ the aximsite ;).

5. David Hettel

David Hettel Mobile Deity

Interesting that it appears to be a very basic cradle and nothing more, as in no USB host capabilities. I wonder if the USB cable and the power cable are permanently attached, or plug in?

6. gersen416

gersen416 Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks David - also noticed Boxwave have a reasonably priced ($13.45) USB sync cable with what looks like the appropriate 24 pin connector that could be reconfigured to allow USB host mode operation as documented in emilb's excellent post. I wonder if Boxwave could be convinced to build this cable for us? Anyone with contacts at Boxwave that could help make this happen?

7. Adama D. Brown

If you look at the enlarged image, you can see that they both plug in to the back of the cradle, a barrel jack for power and a mini-USB plug for power and sync. If you wanted to rewire this cradle for USB Host, you'd have to make the connections inside the cradle, which would probably be a bit difficult.

8. David Hettel

I believe it maybe impossible as apparently this "dock" doesn't use the docking connector, but instead the mini USB connector. At least that is what has been suggested on another site.

9. Adama D. Brown

Looking again at the enlarged images, yes, it does just use the mini-USB. Darn.

10. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Former TX/Ipaq 210 User

So I guess that means if using this cradle, don't expect it to really charge the unit while you use it?
    Mick

11. AshMa

AshMa Mobile Deity

Adama, am I missing something? Looking at the "more pictures" it clearly shows and says DC & USB. I'm ready to order one yesterday, if the pictures are correct.

Ashton

BTW' David, thanks for sharing this.

Edit: Oh darn! Ok I think I see what you're all talking about...... Hmmm are we 100% sure about the connection to the unit?

12. JakeRich

JakeRich Mobile Deity

I ordered it. Should be here next week. I'll report back on how it connects and charges. I was willing to take the chance because even if it's only mini-USB, at least it will hold it up on my desk at work so I can see it.

13. Adama D. Brown

Well, that depends on the supplied current. If you only have it connected by USB, then it would be slow to charge at best. However, they also include an AC adapter to provide more power, so that eliminates that problem as long as you have a spare outlet.

14. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Former TX/Ipaq 210 User

Thanks Adama,
    What was I thinking!
    Mick

15. wingman2000

wingman2000 Mobile Consultant

Finally there's a cradle with spare battery charger for my ipaq 211 :) Still a bit expensive though. The cradle for my N560 had the same functions but was only half of the price.

16. emilb

emilb Mobile Evangelist

Measuring the charging current I've seen that the fast USB charging is limited at 0.5A, even there could be supplied more. Charging current when using the 24 pin connector is limited at 1.2 A. And, of course, that includes the current used by the PDA, so when using the mini USB connector for chargind when the PDA is on will increase the charging time.

17. David Hettel

I would disagree, my experience is the miniUSB port is current limited, and does not have the ability to fully power the 210. Even if the 210 is connected to a source that can provide 1000 mAh or more of current. Perhaps this was done in an attempt to prevent the 210 from shutting down a USB port when the 210 is in a low battery state? Running a program like WiFiFoFum with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enable while connected to power by the miniUSB connector can easily show this.

HP has chosen to hide the current values on the 210, at least programs that show current don't work on the 210 in my experience.

18. JakeRich

JakeRich Mobile Deity

OK, the cradle arrived today. It came with a USB-to-miniUSB cable for syncing and a 5V, 1A power converter. The converter takes in 100-240v AC. I chose to just plug in the HP power supply, since it was there in place already. The only connection to the 21x is the mini-USB connector you can see in the pictures in the links above. The process to connect is pretty straightforward: You line up the 21X carefully to be in parallel to the back support and then slide it down onto the mini-USB plug. Once it's in place, it's pretty sturdy, but the cradle does slide around some because the feet on the cradle aren't really very sticky. The unit is, for me, at a comfortable angle. It will NOT accommodate the leather case from PDAir I have, and probably won't accommodate any case I have seen so far. The connector is too close to the backplate to allow for much to be between them.

I haven't noticed the flickering that I expected to see given that it's only using the mini-USB port. I haven't tried a really dead battery, but even with the battery charged up I had noted that when Activesync kicked in the LED flickered on the straight cable from HP. In the cradle it doesn't do that. In fact, the only flickering I saw was when, as a test, I fired up my navigation software, had BT running and then forced the navigation software to write to the SD card. There was some light flickering of the backlight when the writes were happening, but the green LED never went out.

I still think it would be better to have used the 24-pin connector in a cradle, but for now, this will do. At least it's not lying flat on the desk or propped up on the case anymore.

19. Adama D. Brown

In case anybody's interested, we're going to be shipped one of these for review.

20. dafuse

dafuse Mobile Consultant

Just got mine today. For the Canadians out there: I ordered it on April 22, shipped on 24 and received today, the 29. No Taxes/Duty on delivery: they labeled it as a gift and showed a value of $4 on the shipping label (and I had about $120 worth of stuff in there :)

Anyway....back to the subject at hand. I have flickering (green light on/off) for about 30-120 secs after I put the 210 in the cradle. Then it stops and stays solid.

The 211 sits solidly, but there is some front/back movement that is possible. Nothing serious. Also, getting the extra battery in and out is a challenge, because the slot is pretty snug. Again, nothing serious.

Fun to finally have the 211 standing at attention in front of me instead of laying down ;-)