Fingerprint Readers and Google Assistant...

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by internetpilot, Jan 10, 2018.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

The Moto G5S Plus is my first phone with a fingerprint reader, so it's also the first phone I've ever locked. All my other phones were just a simple swipe up to "unlock" it.

So, for all of you that have using fingerprint readers for a while, is it normal that "OK Google" doesn't activate the Google Assistant with the screen off? I messed around with it a little, even adding a "trusted voice", but that still won't activate it when the screen is off. At best I can get trusted voice to unlock the phone and run the Google Assistant only when the screen is on (but the phone is still locked).

Just curious if this what everyone else is also encountering, or if it's just a Moto thing (or maybe even just a G5S Plus thing)? My Zenwatch 2 and Zenwatch 3 help with this a little, but they only offer the on-watch related Google Assistant stuff. Anything requiring the phone won't work because the phone is still locked. I think I can setup the watch(es) to unlock the phone, but that's a lot less secure. Thank goodness my children bought me a Google Home Mini for Christmas or I'd really be missing my frequent use of the Google Assistant!

2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

That does seem a bit odd, but I could also see how it would be a security issue. Interesting question.

internetpilot and scjjtt like this.
  3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I don't have a moto anymore, but I do remember "ok google" being slightly buggy with the screen off/phone locked.

RickAgresta, internetpilot and scjjtt like this.