Finally. Make your palm to work _HOURS_ more.

Discussion in 'Tungsten T series' started by junglemike, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PalmPC

PalmPC Mobile Evangelist

I set shutoff at 3.61v to match LiftDrive, brightness at minimum, and read ebooks on SD card (plus minimum other activities), I got 7-7.5hr out of a full charge (4.15v+). I don't have exact number of my battery capability prior to this app. But it was slightly above 3hr. So it's 100% improvement for me.

WIth 7hr+ battery time, I'm now seriously considering buying the WiFi card. I'm sticking with my T3 until a real upgrade comes (LifeDrive with real RAM and video out, and maybe in some more advanced format such as integrated mega digicam or GPS).

BTW, you can use Profeo SA to disable default battery warning and use your own settings instead. As I set my shutdown at 3.61v, I set Profeo to warn at 5% battery level instead (some half an hour of minimum brightness runtime left before actual shutdown). 3.61v is very safe. Data loss won't occur till around 3.4v.

2. PeNsTeR

PeNsTeR Mobile Deity

One question 'bout the soft reset option. Do you think it's even possible? I mean, when your battery drops below the P1 treshold setting and you make a soft reset, how would it be possible to surpress the factory setting if the app can't even run at that time. As far as I understand, the autorun apps start when the palm logo disappears.

It would be nice if you prove me wrog though. ;)

3. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Good point ...

As far as I understood, at soft reset an INIT message is send to all applications. Ofcourse the battery needs to be ABOVE the critical level in order to even allow this message to be send...

So, in case where you need to reset combined with extremely low battery levels, I think this should be exceptional and the update would not be possible then.

But for all other cases where you need to reset ... this would be a helpfull feature :cool:

4. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

Author (Web Publish) was asked this question on russian forum. He said, that restoring thresholds after reset is _only_ possible if current voltage level is not below default critical level. So i guess if you reset your T3 below 3.75v - you better be prepared to die from boredom.
    But do you have resets _that_ often?

By the way, on same forum, somebody reported, he reached 9.5 hours w/ T3 w/ standard battery and FullPower set to 3.45v, cpu speed=100mhz, brightness=low, reading book w/ palmfiction.

5. grahamnind

grahamnind Mobile Deity

I probably get 5 or 6 resets a week. 3 different scenarios
    1) If I pull the slider out before switching on, and there is an alarm box, then screen fades, and I need to use reset button. Solution: I need to remember to switch T3 on first
    2) Sometimes when I enter text in an application (could be 3rd Party or standard Palm application), then it crashes and CrashPro reboots system.
    3) Documents-to-Go causes crashes about 1 in 4 times I use it.

I have never been able to isolate the cause(s), and whilst annoying, it was not a big problem as Palm only takes a few seconds to reboot. (Glad I haven't got a T5 or LifeDrive :) ) Now I might try a bit harder to isolate the cause(s). My T2, with the same software installed rarely crashes.

Does anyone know of a list anywhere of suspects likely to cause crashes on T3s

6. PeNsTeR

PeNsTeR Mobile Deity

Well, I don't know why I have to reset my T3 once every 3 days. It's often when I use Docs to go and try to open a palmdoc ebook.

It even happend that while editing a palm word file and try to save it, the screen faded out screen and the result was a hard reset after reseting the palm (I did a soft reset, but it happened to be a hard one).

Fortunately there are other palmdoc readers and I save all my files on the SD card since than.

The solution could be editing the treshold value at the lowest level possible.

7. alex_lorenzo

alex_lorenzo Mobile Deity

Docs to go is know for its hard resets when opening Doc files in the 6.005 version, provided free with T3. Soon after I bought mine I had my first hard reset, but an update was issued promptly (browsing list files was very slow, also).

I think the last update for version 6 is 6.008.

Check dataviz for the update.

8. grahamnind

grahamnind Mobile Deity

Thanks for that. I hadn't realised there was an update. I'll give it a go. Seems it also fixes another problem: crashes in Global find.

9. holvoetn

Indeed ... :D

10. klw

klw Guest

This little gem of a program, along with the T3.5 battery update rocks! I've not had my handheld on a charger yet this week except for a few minutes a day while hotsyncing and I've got 45% showing on my battery guage!

Damn! My T3 is acting like my old M515 did!

11. Odessa

Odessa Mobile Deity

On my T3 set at 3.60, I got 6 hours 15 min (at 3.62) with standard battery, reading iSilo, listening to .ogg files on PocketTunes, that is a 50% improvement for me. I just wish I had this program before I scratched T3's case instaling Kokam battery.

12. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

Is anybody getting the "enable to start program" error after a HotSync?

It becomes a soft reset loop which requires a Warm Reset and deleting FullPower.

Soft reset and back to normal.

13. sjweise

sjweise Mobile Deity

I have not seen that Dean. I've been using fullpower all week and I hotsync every morning.

14. rayman

rayman eCurmudgeon

I got 5 hours 25 minutes with Full Power set to 3.58, running under my usual conditions of CPU at 200 MHz and brightness at 25 - 30%. I think I'll do a couple more charge-discharge cycles to condition the battery and then run the standardized test, but from the way it's looking that may take more time than I can afford to be without using the T3 for something! The snickersmd battery and full power certainly has made a huge difference.

15. PeNsTeR

PeNsTeR Mobile Deity

What programs do you use to test the battery life?

16. grahamnind

grahamnind Mobile Deity

17. holvoetn

See earlier ...

Although BatteryTime is considered to be used for the normalized test, it is NOT a reflection of what you should get from real-life activities (this would typically result in a shorter period).

BatteryTime applies a VERY low load on the CPU for one ...
    But it is the test we use to compare our results.

Real life test would be e.g. having TCPMP looping a video continuously, or Aeroplayer playing music continuously (without screen being switched off).
    But then you would need to check from time to time to see if your PDA is still doing something.

18. PeNsTeR

PeNsTeR Mobile Deity

THx for the Soft reset app!

I was thinking that a cool feature would be if you could start Full Power directly from the Low Battery message. This way, you would not have to restore it after every soft reset, but just set it when you battery is going to give up.

But that battery time testing:

I was thinking to fully charge my T3 and open Pocket tunes and let it continously play a song with the screen on and low power stop disabled - just like JM has done. But there is one thing, I was thinkig of doing this while I'm sleeping. The problem - how do I measure the time then?

19. holvoetn

See 1 post up ...
    You need to babysit your Palm when you do it that way ...

I remember JungleMike making an explicit statement he was HOPING his test would end soon because he wanted to go to bed :D

20. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

No, you don't need to babysit your palm.
    I also do most of my test at night.
    I found this simple way.
    In case you have any cheap webcam, you can install VirtualDub (mod) - and simply record your palm's screen for days to come. I use this method constantly to monitor my projects. This is how it looks:
    http://img14.imgspot.com/u/05/148/12/VDscreenshot2.jpg
    On 3-4gb of disk space you can record 100 hours of non-stop video. And even you can set your palm to show voltage, or percantage.
    After recording is done it takes me 5-10min to watch and reconstruct whole picture.