Finally. Make your palm to work _HOURS_ more.

Discussion in 'Tungsten T series' started by junglemike, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

I've been reading russian palm forum today, and found out, that some guy (http://www.mobile-stream.com/ ) wrote program, called "Full Power" that can alternate low and critical tresholds of the battery.
    And it means you can get many more hours of work time without even opening your palm!!.

I didn't do a complete test yet, (will do shortly), But It seems to work on my T3. I've tested it and got 2 hours after low battery warning, I could get more, but I decided to recharge, and make a complete test.

For those who don't know what is this all about, I will explain shortly:

When you think that battery in your palm is empty - you think wrong :D.
    There is still convinient amount of energy is still remaining (from 30 to 60%) that you cannot use. The situation is extremely bad with T3 - which has very high critical voltage threshold (3.76v). Which means that when your T3 dies - thre is still close to 50% left.

So this programs enables you to change this value , and make your palm work many hours longer. But you need to consider that this may be dangerous. This is first beta. And if you set too low voltage - you loose your data (similair to hard reset).
    Before this program, there were 2 programs (Tcpmp and ZdoomZ) which can it locally - which means you can play Tcpmp after critical battery, but you can't do anything else.
    Now you can!.
    Anyway, here is the link.
    Make sure you backup befor try it.
    http://www.mobile-stream.com/demos/FullPower.zip
  2. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

Ups, sorry. I posted this in wrong forum. Thought it was T forum. I don't know if it works with LD.
  3. masterzone

masterzone Mobile Evangelist

wow! great...I wait for some test untill try it...

I remember on my PalmV, There was a software with the possibility to decrease the battery warning tresholds.
    The results was a blackout or auto-off of the device.
    Is interesting on T5 with non-volatil memory, right?

Mz
  4. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

Don't know what you mean, but I have about 3.5 hours of video play _after_ low battry in TCPMP. This program enables me to use those hours in any way i want.

Simply my T3 woks now for 2-3-4-5 hours longer from same battery as before (depending on usage).
  5. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

One quick question before I try it... Will this work on the T|E? (Sorry, I know wrong forum)

Thanks!
  6. imported_Curt

imported_Curt Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for hunting this down, Mike. Some of the coolest things I can do on my T3 I credit to your research and sharing!!

Is there a "safe" level to use right away? I'm sure over the next days/weeks folks will experiment with what can be maximized without losing data, but if I don't care about the absolute max number of seconds I can squeeze out of the battery, what level can I safely just increase a bit - even a 1/2 hour. 3.72? 3.7?

Thanks again!

-Curt
  7. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Moved to T|T series forum
  8. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

I think so, but there isn't any readme file or anything.

I don't know what is the bottom voltage that T3 can work from, i think it is 3.0v, as in case of TE (that i measured).
    As i tested, i had 3.60v, and after that i started to recharge. (even though I could go on). So i guess 3.6v is safe anyway.
  9. AkB

AkB Mobile Enthusiast

junglemike:

Thanks for your research.

I downloaded the software and installed on my TE. What I don't know is what threshold to identify. On a freshly charged battery, the settings say:

Current Voltage: 410
    Shutdown Voltage: 371 (this can be adjusted)
    Steps per Volt: 56
    Voltage Step Offset: 5

I noted the lowest shutdown voltage I can go to is 320. My first question is, how low should I go? Secondly, is there a simple software test to see how long my TE will now run? I'm planning on running a video on TCPMP and time it until it dies. Then I was thinking of adjusting the shutdown voltage to 325, performing the same test and time it until the TE shutoff - is there a better way to figure this stuff out?
  10. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

I tested TE before, if you want to see, here is the graph of dischage curve starting from critical level till shutdown:
    http://img14.imgspot.com/u/05/147/12/TEdischargetest.jpg
    As you see from the graph (assuming your TE behaves the same) after 3.63v - voltage starts to drop really fast, and there isn't much gain left. So if you doesn't experience any problems with 3.63v - than you would really make it! - Make your TE work longer w/o any penalty. As for the test:
    I suggest you recharge your TE fully, and run some test (w/o this app) - like video or audio test till critical level.
    Than recharge again, set up 3.63v, and run same test again.
    This is what i'm doing now.
    This way you will know how longer it will run (if any ) and what possible problems you can have (if any).
  11. AkB

AkB Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks junglemike! I will do exactly as you suggested. The graph helped me visually as well. I'll perform these tests this weekend, so I'll be able to report back next week.

BTW, I have overclocked TCPMP (0.64c) to 174 (via LightSpeed), so I should be able to determine time levels fairly quickly (I'm assuming under 4-5 hours).

Thanks again!
  12. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

@ junglemike:

I'm starting to test this program, I hope it proves to be useful. I'm testing it on my T2 with a shutdown voltage of 3.64V. However, I have noticed this: If I hit the "Info" button on ZLauncher, it shows the battery's warn and critical thresholds, and they don't change after I set the new voltage level on FullPower. Instead, warn threshold is still 3.73V and critical threshold is still 3.71V. Same thing happens with Filez, it reports the same thresholds. Although I haven't finished testing, I'm pretty sure the percentage power remaining reported in Filez and ZLauncher is the same as before using FullPower. So, it seems FullPower does not update or modify the built-in voltage thresholds. Is this so? If so, is there some way to modify these thresholds to reflect the new value set in FullPower? TIA for any insight.
  13. XandeR803

XandeR803 Newbie

I can confirm that this does indeed work on the T3. I set the shutdown to 3.62 and the battery indicator adjusts accordingly. I'm currently running at 3.71 and my battery indicator says 20%. I haven't actually tested how much time i gained as I used my wifi card to quickly drain my battery but the program definetely works on the T3. FYI i'm using snickermd's battery if that makes a difference.
  14. grahamnind

grahamnind Mobile Evangelist

Thanks Junglemike for the link. Will give it a go. However I am a bit confused now. :confused: I had just worked up the courage to crack open my T3, void the warranty, and solder an external battery in parallel. I am one of these people who finds the battery life nearly accceptable. I occasionally run out towards the end of a day of intensive use. This might just take it over the line. :)

What battery level are you setting yours at? Personally I'm not bothered about data loss: I backup to SD Card 2 or 3 times a day.

Is there any risk to the battery if you set it very low, or will the protection circuit stop the battery from discharging too low?
  15. eick

eick Droid 3 User

may I ask what you set your T3's low voltage to JungleMike?
  16. DeanDC10

DeanDC10 Mobile Deity

I am also interested in what settings others are using without loosing data.

How low can you go............
  17. klw

klw Guest

I just installed on my T3.5 and set FullPower to 3.62 volts based on JM's charts. It definitely has an impact on the battery meter! I'll be interested to see if the voltage actually gets below the original 3.76 volt cutoff. I'm assuming the filez report is off because FullPower, by design, overrides the settings that filez reports. This theory will be proven out the minute I'm running with a battery voltage of <3.76. I'll post a picture of that when it happens....

edit (after re-reviewing the charts):

Screw that, I'm setting it to 3.5V. :eek:
  18. boosted

boosted Mobile Enthusiast

junglemike rocks! :D
  19. klw

klw Guest

I'm also interested as to whether I'll throw a warning at the original 3.78V setting. Doesn't that also force brightness down and do other automatic nasty things? It would be nice if that adjusted accordingly too since dealing with multiple warnings with an hour or so of use left could wind up being a real PITA.....
  20. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Well, I did my test setting voltage at 3.64V. i got my first warning as soon as the voltage dropped below 3.70V (instead of 3.73V), but brightness was ok until 3.66V, at this point the screen dimmed automatically. I went all the way down to 3.64V with no nasty effects at all. At this point a dialog popped up warning that my battery level was extremely low, etc. I must say I got 1 more hour of mp3 playback. I guess I could get more, but my T2's battery isn't in good shape, and does not hold the full charge it supposed to do. I'm planning to replace it at some time in the near future (the battery, not the T2).
    Regarding my previous post, Filez and ZLauncher do report the default thresholds, but ZLauncher's battery meter adjusts to the voltage set in FullPower. I'm now going to test again, dropping voltage to 3.5V. Does anyone know yet what's the absolute minimum voltage you can set without a hard reset?