Figures that the family would lose two smartphones in one day...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NamelessPlayer, Aug 11, 2015.

1. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

So everyone else decided to visit some river at a park over the weekend, just to have fun and all.

My stepfather lost his Galaxy S5.

My older bro's LG G3 took a swim, he didn't think to pull the battery at first (you ALWAYS pull the battery immediately when a gadget gets soaked and it's not waterproof!), and now the screen won't come on.

The motherboard's still operational enough to charge and mount internal storage when connected to a PC (good enough to pull our photos off, thankfully), but when screens are about half the price of a second-hand G3, not practical. Even so, I still can't rule out that the motherboard is indeed damaged enough to not function entirely.

If only we'd got him an S5 like the rest of us (they were no longer on sale for a dollar on contract), maybe the water resistance would've paid off...

Of all the phones on our four-line plan, this just had to strike the two phones without any insurance on their lines. Figures. They were also bought subsidized on contract, so any replacements would have to be full price. Might happen on eBay, but definitely NOT at a Sprint store or Best Buy.

We had to dig out one of the old Galaxy S3s (would've been two if I didn't sell mine to a friend already) and a dumbphone to get those activated so we can still keep in touch, but I just hate to see people lose such expensive hardware just like that. Even $200, give or take a few tens, is quite a chunk of change for another G3 or S5, and that's not factoring the cost of a replacement OtterBox case or SD card for the lost S5.

Then there's the lost photos on the S5, too, which you can't really put a price on. To add to the irony, said stepdad actually came to me to set up the new SD card and put all his photos on it, and I didn't think to keep some spares on my computer at the time, thinking he'd come back home with the phone and all. Guess not!

Lesson learned: take care of your smartphones and the data on them, guys!

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Sorry for the difficult losses. It's really tough to lose 2 like that. I'm glad you were able to get photos off the LG G3.

I've lost photos because of a head crash on a hard drive and wasn't able to recover them. No backups. Since then, I've been pretty careful about backing up to another drive as well as the cloud, but my "system" needs updating. I'll get right on that -- can't take the risk. You're unfortunate experience is a good reminder for me.

After drying out the LG G3, bring it to a Sprint store and see if they'll replace it for $75. http://support.sprint.com/support/a...-your-device/case-ba416758-20090629-111250#!/

Another option is the LG G2 for $150 at Best Buy.

If you pay your monthly bill with a Wells Fargo credit card (autopay), you have insurance - check it out!

I'm sure there are other options, too. Good luck!

lelisa13p, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Sorry to hear, np. Hope you're able to replace/repair without too much cost.

when you say lost, have you tried any of the various online/OTA locator functions? it's a long•shot, but worth a try.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

My LG G2 is paired with a Bluetooth headset. I misplaced my phone, but had a rough idea where it was. I wandered around, turning my headphones off and on. Suddenly, they connected with my phone, letting me know I was within 30 feet.

A silly method for locating it, but it worked.

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

NP - I'm so sorry to hear of this misfortune - hopefully things will work out smoothly & inexpensive for all of you.

On my Pebble Steel watch I have a locator app that will cause my phone to start beeping, even if the sound is off or on vibrate, if the phone is within BT range. My son's Moto 360 has a similar app too.

I also have an app that will automatically lock my phone, requiring a password, whenever it gets out of BT range. While in BT range I don't have to enter a password but I do have it set that I have to swipe up so I don't accidentally call someone.

I'm sure these apps are available for other watches too BUT the Pebble Steel is water proof - most watches are just water resistant. Some people actually swim with their watches on - I won't. While at the beach in San Diego a few weeks ago I took my watch but kept it in one of our bags because I didn't want sand to get in-between the openings on the band (I suppose I could have taken & used the original band that came with it or got a sports band).

I do like having a smart watch & see myself continually to use & have one in the future. These are some extra benefits that have been useful from time to time with my phone.

lelisa13p likes this.
  6. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

I wasn't aware of exactly which services to look at, but the thought of tracking the phone down using the integrated GPS did cross my mind.

There's just a few problems with doing it now:
    -Location tracking might have been disabled.
    -If that S5's battery runs out of juice, so does its GPS hardware.
    -The phone was reported lost and the line replaced with a spare phone the next day anyway, so any GPS reporting data would most likely not go through anymore. That also means simply trying to call the phone won't work, either.
    -I don't think there were any phone tracking apps installed to begin with.

Bluetooth isn't an option either, even if they were to drive back and scope out the area; they don't use BT headsets in general.

It's Friday morning now, probably too late to retrieve the S5 at this point. Someone else has most likely found the phone by now and will most likely try and flip it as a bad ESN device, or if not, the battery's probably dead.

The only good news here is that both the S5 and G3 are about $200 on eBay for working clean ESN units, give or take a few tens depending on listing. In fact, the G3 is cheap enough that my older bro might as well just outright buy a whole new unit rather than trying to fix his existing one, though I'll still see about diagnosing it a bit more with a Slimport cable and finding out if it's the LCD or the motherboard that's at fault here.

Now, if they were using Note 4s like I am? That's $300-400 right there per unit, ouch! Maybe the upcoming Note 5 will drive that down a bit, or not because Samsung's all set to drop microSD, removable batteries and even the IR blaster for no practical improvement.

7. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Lookout has a couple of nice features for phone tracking and remote wiping similar to what Google offers, but yes GPS need to be on. One feature is that if the phone runs low on battery, it will mark the phone's location at that time so that you can at least you can track where it was when the battery ran out. Another nice feature is that it can make your phone scream if it is on and has battery. And it is really loud. :vbeek: :vbgrin:

They also have an app called Plan B which allegedly can track the phone after you have lost it with no pre-installed software. I haven't tried it, so I can't say how well it works.

You are right, it is probably too late now, but for the future...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Another option to prevent future loss:

[​IMG]

NamelessPlayer, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

yah, but pondering how to keep it dry at the park reminded me of beach-days, with a broken arm, and a plastic bag to keep the cast dry....

jigwashere likes this.