FAQ: SUDS - sudden failure of USB on M5xx

Discussion in 'Palm' started by biglig, May 1, 2002.

1. sherrell

sherrell Newbie

finally found you.

after almost abandoning my m515 to sub (called ESB by the linked court action), finding this site revived by palm m515 and its rightful place in my purse (as opposed to buried somewhere on my desk). works for "zip-linq retractable cables" third party usb connection for my m515.

I am a happy camper.

2. carpentiere

carpentiere Newbie

It appears that many M515's suffer the same SUDS issue as the M500/505. I also see questions as to why Palm won't acknowledge the M515 also suffers from this issue. Well...I'll bet it's a legal thing. If they acknowledge it then they need to do something about it. Here's the lawsuit details. I wish there was a way to push this issue on behalf of M515 users!

http://palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6370

3. pldoolittle

pldoolittle Newbie

After two years of operation in coat pockets, pants pockets, etc my M515C experienced SUDS. So for those curious, it's definitely NOT a myth on late model 5XX's.

I fixed it here at home in just a few minutes. All that is required is a T5 screwdriver to remove the case screws and a tiny flat head to gently pry of the back (I used a 1.5mm flathead). The battery connector just pops out and back in like any 2 pin quick connector. Presto, your Palm is erased and ready to re-synch.

I'm an electronics buff who knows his way around a soldering iron and PC etchant. Having now done this and seen how simple the inside of the 515 actually is, I won't hesitate to repair my own unit in the future. Battery, main board, etc. If I can buy the part my 515 won't be going to someone else for repair.

FWIW, it's been under an hour including research, repair, restore, and making this post. Granted, I did have a T5 in my toolbox, but I'd go by one before deep-cycling the battery.

Procedure
    --------------
    Use a T5 screwdriver to remove the case screws. If the unit is not new, they may require quite a bit of force to turn. If you cannot insert the tool fully, you will have much trouble. Also, the screw head holes may be plugged with grit. If so, clean with a straight pin.

Once the screws are out, start at the bottom (by the connector) and slowly pry the catches away using a very tiny fladhead screwdriver and working around the case. Be gentle but realize that until you get about half the clips released the grip on the case back if strong and may make you feel as if you are bereaking the unit.

Once open, the battery is on the upper left and occupies about 1/3 of the case. It has a small circuit board attached and from that a pair of red/black wires make their way to a beige quick connect on the main board. Unplug the QC and wait about 10 secs. Reconnect, and you are done.

Putting the back on requires a bit of finnese and some force. Start at one of the long edges and clip those. Work around the device from there until all are clipped.

Re-install screws. Answer new device questions, and re-synch to restore your data.

4. pldoolittle

pldoolittle Newbie

Oh, and I have an "H" cradle.

5. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

There are two suggestions to "pldoolittle"'s take apart battery disconnect procedure.

1. The battery disconnect time may require a longer duration on some models. One minute is not unreasonable.

2. Manually perform a HARD reset after you have completed the assembly. Following the start up steps, does not insure all applications and databases were created correctly on the power up sequence. The HARD reset is only procedure to reestablish the memory to as-new state.

Also, a static discharge (ESD) causes the SUDS condition. The Palm USB circuits are documented for a jolt of +/_ 15K V air ESD.

FYI; The cradle can be one conductive path, any other path way can permit a static charge to jump from source to the Palm. (the cradle is not the cause, environment condusive to static creation is the cause)

6. Palm Addict

Palm Addict Palm Evangelist

What exactly was/is your "SUDS like problem affecting my Zire 71?" Anything like my problems? So, did the .3 shortcut solve your issue?

ME

7. tizzo

tizzo Newbie

I started having a problem this morning that sounds like it may or may not be consistent with SUDS. Unfortunately, I had to get to work, so didn't have time to check it out fully.

Anyway, what happened is my Palm m505 seemed to lock up in the middle of a synchronization. The sync started out just fine, but then started to run very, very slowly, and finally just locked up. Tapping cancel did nothing, pressing the power button did nothing, and finally I unplugged the USB hotsync cable. This released the PC to which I was synchronizing, but the palm remained locked. A soft reset brought the Palm logo up, but locked there. So I did a hard reset. After doing a hard reset, I was able to get through the initial setup just fine, so I tried doing a sync to restore my backed up databases. When I did this, however, my Palm tried to connect, but the PC just did not respond. The Palm remained responsive, letting me cancel and restart the synchronization, but to no avail.

Now, it's possible that the hotsync manager on the desktop was locked up or something due to the abnormal termination of the previous sync, but I did not have time to restart it and try again before I left the house. What I'd like to know is whether what I have seen is consistent with SUDS. IE does SUDS ever manifest itself as a gradual degradation in synchronization speed before finally stopping altogehter? Thanks.

Tony

8. Palm Addict

Palm Addict Palm Evangelist

Not sure that I've heard of SUDS manifesting quite that way. Fortunately, even though my m505 was an earlier model that seemed to be at risk for SUDS, I encountered no problems myself with that device, so I can't speak directly to the issue. When was yours made, or at least when did you purchase it? Was it new? If your device was made later in the m505 era, I don't think that SUDS should be an issue. (Or was it not until the m515 that the issue was fixed--can anyone verify?)

ME

9. jwcoleman

jwcoleman Newbie

Thanks for all your help. My Palm hasn't been syncing for a week. I called Palm Tech support, they took my credit card number but after doing all their tests they said they would send out the back up/drain card at no cost.

John

10. Ju4dy

Ju4dy Mobile Evangelist

Hi John
    Can you or anyone tell me what phone number to to call to get that card? Is it just the regular tech support number? They won't charge me for the call, right?
    thanks