FAQ: Maximum Memory Card Size for Palm OS

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by Masterchief, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masterchief

Masterchief Superfluous Moderator Super Moderator

What is the largest memory card you can use with your Palm OS handheld? Check this FAQ for the largest size guaranteed to work by the manufacturer:

Palm Models- Micro Secure Digital (microSD) Cards

Maximum Tested Capacity- 4GB
    Centro (SDHC Compatible)

Palm Models- Mini Secure Digital (miniSD) Cards

Maximum Tested Capacity- 4GB
    Treo 755p (SDHC Compatible)
    Treo 680 (SDHC Compatible, confirmed by tests)

Palm Models- Secure Digital (SD) Cards

Maximum Tested Capacity- 2GB*
    TX
    Lifedrive
    Treo 700p (After applying MR: SDHC is accepted and limit gets increased ;) )
    Treo 650
    Treo 600
    Tungsten T5
    Zire 72

Maximum Tested Capacity- 1GB
    Tungsten E2
    Tungsten T3#
    Tungsten T2
    Tungsten T
    Tungsten E
    Zire 71
    Zire 31
    Tungsten W
    Tungsten C
    i705
    m515
    m505
    m500
    m130
    m125

Sony Models- Memory Stick (MS)

Sony Clie- Maximum Tested Capacity- 128MB
    PEG-N710C
    PEG-N760C
    PEG-NR70
    PEG-NR70V
    PEG-SL10
    PEG-SJ20
    PEG-SJ22
    PEG-S30
    PEG-SJ33
    PEG-T400
    PEG-T415
    PEG-T615C
    PEG-T650C
    PEG-T665C

Sony Models- Memory Stick Pro (MSPro)

Sony Clie- Maximum Tested Capacity- 2GB*
    PEG-NX60
    PEG-NX70V
    PEG-NX73V
    PEG-NX80V
    PEG-NZ90
    PEG-TG50
    PEG-TH55
    PEG-TJ25
    PEG-TJ27
    PEG-TJ35
    PEG-TJ37
    PEG-UX40
    PEG-UX50
    PEGA-VR100K

Tapwave Models- 2 SD slot device (of which one SDIO) (MS)
    Tapwave Zodiac - Official Capacity- 2GB per slot*

It can handle 2GB cards "out of the box" per slot. It cannot handle SDHC cards, so storage beyond 4GB isn't officially possible.

*The newer models in these categories may work with 4GB capacity memory cards
    **Models not listed do not have memory card slots
    ***Handspring Visor Models used Springboard Expansion Modules
    #This device is known to work with 1.5 GB SD memory cards & up to 1.5 GB capacity on 2 GB expansion cards

For more information please visit the Palm Support & Sony Support webpages.
    :cool:
  2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Good call to have it compiled :newpalm:

I advise to update the main post with the latest updates you will get during the thread (or any other mod can do that, agreed ?).

Comments:
    - I think a reference to Palm Knowledge base article 34080 should be made ?
    - Treo700w and wx are not running PalmOS hence need to be removed from the list ;)
    - It would be advisable to modify the title to clearly indicate this only relates to PalmOS (Palm also supports WM, you see)
    - Anything released at and after LifeDrive will work with 4Gb as reported over here.
    - T3 is able to handle 1.5 Gb ;) (those cards exist and otherwise a 2Gb card will be used up to 1.5Gb)
  3. Masterchief

Revisions made. Thanks for proof-reading it Holvy. I have no problem with other mods updating this FAQ when new models come out. Hope this helps out a little guys & gals. :cool:
  4. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Nice job Masterchief.
  5. Masterchief

Thank you DT. Thought it would be good to have this reference here so users wouldn't have to search the Palm KB everytime. :)
  6. doogie

doogie Dog-Eat-Dog World Citizen

This is an excellent sticky and one that is long overdue. Thanks so much Masterchief!

I just want to add that for truly adventuresome types, Dmitry Grinberg has come up with a FAT32 driver that will enable SOME Palm OS units to accommodate 4 GB cards. (The original FAT allocation has lower limits). Search on the 1src forums for information. I'm intentionally not giving a direct link because you should do lots of research before you decide to do this modification. Why?

-- Obviously this can greatly affect the stability of your device. The original 1src thread on this subject has 287 posts as of this writing, so there's been a lot of issues associated with it.

--You will LOSE the ability to write to the card. However, if you wanted to use a 4 GB card only for read-only type usage (say, watching a movie) it is feasible to still use it.

-- If your SD card is formatted FAT32 and you want to restore from a hard reset using a backup on that card, you're going to be out of luck, because after a hard reset, your Palm is going to be reading SD cards in the FAT format and your SD card's content will be FAT32.

Despite all these caveats, I thought others might be interested anyway. I've never tried this modified driver and cannot vouch for its success or danger. YMMV!
  7. Masterchief

Thank you doogie, and good information ;) :cool:
  8. Father Simon

Father Simon Newbie

I do not know about the rest, but I put in a 4 gig card om my Palm TX and formatted it with the PDA. It works fine... I have about 3 gig of movies and stuff on it now and it runs fine.. I have NV backup , but I have not had to do a hard reset.. I am sure it will work though as the Palm ( with no mod software ) formatted the card.
  9. PDA Learner

PDA Learner Newbie

I have recently purchased a Palm TX, not received yet still in transit, and I 've been reading some of the posts about 4GB SD cards for the TX and I was wondering, are there any build dates that will not accept the 4GB SD?

I've found some really great deals for this size flash, for anyone interested, but I want to make sure I have my bases covered before I have a huge card and no place to use it. Ultra has a 4GB card with rebate and it's only $70. This rebate can be found fairly easy, but it has stipulations on its purchase location. I apologize if this isn't the correct location for this post.
  10. Masterchief

I haven't heard of any TXs not being able to accept 4GB cards on the basis of its production date. So you should be fine as long as the card manufactuer is relatively reputable (the sandisk should work fine). :cool:
  11. cx420ns

cx420ns Mobile Enthusiast

im running a 2gb on a zire 71 with the sd patch, no probs here.
  12. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

Thanks for a great sticky post. Unfortunately, BH isn't allowing me to add to your rep so I guess I'll have to wait before I can give you one.
  13. Masterchief

I appreciate the thought! :cool:
  14. turtlesx

turtlesx Newbie

The TX does support 4 GB SD cards. Just make sure you don't get the newer 4 GB SDHC cards. Those are not supported because Palm has not upgraded the hardware. Maybe later in future revisions of current models. Then you can get 8 GB SD cards :D
  15. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Hello turtlesx, welcome to BrightHand :D:D:D
    Thank you for adding this info. The issue with SDHC though is more on a protocol then HW level (sector-based vs byte-based addressing scheme).

A belated welcome as well to PDA Learner :newpalm:
  16. Gospel

Gospel Mobile Enthusiast

I also have a 4GB Transcend SD (not SDHC) in my TX. I haven't gotten above 2GB on the card yet but I'm working on it. :) So far, it is working fine. I did notice that the TX does have the FAT32 library in the ROM already.

[EDIT: I've surpassed the 2GB mark. ~3.1GB full and still going strong. Putting a dramatized audio version of the NIV Bible helped (1.7GB, AAC, 48kbps bit rate, mono).]

Enjoy life,
    Steven
  17. Genjinaro

Genjinaro ~3rdPrty 4ehvur!~

It'd be nice if all you needed for the 8GB was a driver upgrade.
    Ahh but I am too optimistic to even fathom, the possibility... -_-
  18. abasi

abasi Newbie

The Treo 700p can at least handle a 4GB SD. I've had one since the 700p first came out and it never failed.
  19. batata

batata Mobile Enthusiast

Hmm, I just purchased a TC at ebay, but before doing that, I was considering the Treo 90, because it does use sd cards. In fact, long ago when they first came out, I refused to buy a Treo 90, because they were using the "new", "untested", :rolleyes: sd format, instead of springboards or CF cards, which I was using at the time. Just a nit pick on the information here. :newpalm:
  20. Masterchief

Yep thats correct. I verified that after I posted this thread, but never got around to chaning it. ;)