Facebook Will Be Timeline of Your Life, for Good or Ill Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Valerie Sarnataro, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Valerie Sarnataro

Valerie Sarnataro Brighthand Contributor

In a new policy known as "frictionless sharing" Facebook will become a full representation of your life. As part of a new system, users' activities in third-party apps will be automatically noted in the news feed "ticker."

Read the full content of this Article: Facebook Will Be Timeline of Your Life, for Good or Ill

Related Articles:

Skype for Android Update Adds More Smartphones, Tap-to-Zoom Capabilities

What Women Want: Facebook. What Men Want: Directions

Evernote Comes to Windows Phone 7

Apple Unveils iOS 5, iCloud, iMessage at WWDC 2011

12 Cool Smartphone Apps for Job Finding, This Summer or Any Time

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Sooo...Is this something that we can oopt in or out of? Or is it an automatic new feature? If we can opt in or out that's fine. Whatever. If it is automatic then I will delete my account! Not that I have anything to hide from friends but I don't want them to know I listen to Britney!!:eek: :D :p

3. qwertyu

qwertyu Mobile Deity

Your profile page that everyone sees contains every post you ever made dating back to when you joined Facebook, at least as best I can tell. I don't post a lot but my first post from January 3, 2009 and every other one I made since, summarized by year appear there.

I do not see a way to opt out.

4. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Posting is one thing. Other Apps "Auto-Magically" posting for me is another.

5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

(Faint giggle emanates from a nearby cave) :rolleyes:

6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

:D :D :D

Watching how this new functionality works, I don't see neither a privacy threat, nor an actual innovation in Facebook's interface. The well-known timeline is still there, in the center of the screen. That new thingy that has been announced all around is at the left and it something like a Twitter-like timeline grabbing news and scrolling them downwards. If you ask me, it's a redundant feature, cause it offers just what the timeline itself already offers, but with a faster feed.

What I do consider a privacy issue, is that Facebook recently upgraded its privacy functionality and I had my privacy settings all finely tuned, so I had to review all the upgrades in order to achieve the same privacy as before. Of course, such upgrade garbled my settings and I had to spend a while putting it back in order.

7. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Aww, just when I went to the trouble of rooting my device so I could remove all the inbuilt social networking apps too :)

"facebook will become a full representation of your life"
    They can't be serious?

8. Gerard

Gerard Mobile Deity

For attention wh0res, sure. For people who don't use Facebook obviously not. I have an account there, with minimal exposure of who I am and only one picture. Signed up because it was the easiest way to shut people up as clients kept harassing me to join... and hey, it worked, they don't bug me any more. I shut off notifications and they can sent whatever they like, I don't get bugged. I go into the security/privacy settings every few months to make sure Facebook admins haven't done something stupid to my settings... and sure enough, they often have, so I reset to eliminate 'wall' postings and such which I don't want associated with my name. It's really not that hard to prevent Facebook and similar services from becoming exactly what this article proclaims it will become. Much more of my life is available for viewing on the Brighthand archives anyway.