F(x)tec's Landscape Tilting QWERTY Available for Preorder $649 | £649 | €649

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Mi An, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Reminds me of my EVO Shift. Even the HTC Wing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

It really is a beautiful device. Specs and pics show the screen at a fixed angle. I wonder if it can vary, of it only locks in place at the stated 155 degree. Specs I like: NFC, BT 5.0, SD slot (being shared means I'd never use SIM 2), 3200 mAH battery, headphone jack, physical camera shutter (haven't seen that in a phone I own since my Sony Xperia Z1 back in 2014), and of course, physical QWERTY keyboard.

4. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

RickAgresta, scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

The mechanism seems to be very stiff. I wonder if it will become too loose with time, like the Tungsten T2's and T3's slider that sometimes would collapse if the power button was pressed. I'm not looking for a new phone, but this design and implementation look like something worth a try.

6. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I haven't used it yet, but it looks durable to me. I'm pretty sure one of the factors behind choosing something that wasn't adjustable was avoiding the loosey goosey problem. My HTC Touch Pro2's hinge never got as bad as a T|T (uggh, why remind us of such travesties! :vbtongue: ), but it did loosen over time, and there aren't as many related quality components to choose from now as there were back then.

This is the same company (new name) that made the motomod keyboard which did have an adjustable hinge. I suspect their experience with the mod informed their choices here.

7. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I will be very interested in the reviews on this once it comes out. I'll likely be looking for a new phone at the beginning of 2020 and hardware-wise, this would be a consideration. My concerns will be about how good their software is and maybe whether they will be able to provide support and update Android. I have a hard time getting any sense of that latter question in regards to the Genesis Psion model which I also like for it's keyboard, but I just don't get the feeling it's being updated.

This is a very impressive looking phone.

8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

My quibble would be that I don't love those kinds of keys. The 'pop' keys tend to break over a relatively short period of time.

scjjtt and Mi An like this.
  9. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

@Hook, I'm trying to get some more info on updates. One thing is the device is supporting Lineage and might support sailfish, so some level of update support may be aided by that. But I'm going to try and see what they're thinking at least beyond that.

@Ed, what is a 'pop' key?

scjjtt, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  10. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Mi An's previous interactions with these guys and the following quote convinces me that this is not a membrane keyboard which it resembles on first glance.

Sure, it could be hype, but early reviews should be able to address that. I'm willing to give these guys some benefit of the doubt.