Eyeglass Cleaner Sppray to clean screen?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by opdave, Dec 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opdave

opdave Mobile Consultant

Hi,

Any thoughts on using the eyeglass lens cleaner available in a spray bottle from optical stores to clean the screen on my Zire 71?

Thanks,

Dave

2. madkins007

madkins007 Mobile Deity

If the cleaner is OK for plastic lenses (which means none of the ingredients is alcohol or other chemicals that might etch or craze plastics), then it is perfectly safe for most things- PDAs, CDs, etc.

One trick for cleaning things electrical or electronic- spray the cleaner on a lint-free cloth, and use the damp cloth to clean the screen. This prevents liquid from seeping into the case and guts.

Avoid facial tissues, however- the 'weave' is very scratchy and will cause hazing over time.

3. kwkid

kwkid Mobile Deity

Most eyeglass stores or shops that sell the cleaning solution also sell a special cloth that they reccomend cleaning your glasses with. It is guaranteed not to scratch. I use this on my glasses, cell phone, and PDA.

4. opdave

opdave Mobile Consultant

Thanks for the tips. I have the spray bottle and the included cloth.
    I guess I'll give it a try.

Dave

5. madkins007

madkins007 Mobile Deity

Microfiber cloths (what you guys are probably referring to as the scratchless cloths) are WONDERFUL for PDAs, glasses, CDs, etc... but they are not what you want to use to spray the cleaner on.

You'll need to use something a bit more absorbant as the 'cleaning' cloth (soft paper towels, a bit of toweling, etc.), then use the microfiber cloth to dry and polish the screen.

6. Dom71

Dom71 My favorirte Gizmo!

I use compressed air and screen protectors, the best way to keep your screen clean... IMO

7. handorf

handorf Mobile Deity

I've always used the lens cleaner sold at Lenscrafters with a soft cotton cloth.

8. Dom71

That cleaning product sold for glasses is chemically made to clean the material of glasses, not palm pilot screens... it's very corrosive on other types of material... I would not use it on my Palm, in fact, I head that chemical can make some plastics crack...

9. madkins007

madkins007 Mobile Deity

As I said in my original post on the subject, you need to look for a glasses cleaner formulated for plastic. Most glasses cleaner now is formulated to be safe on plastic lenses and delicate coated optics- cameras, binoculars, etc.

Glass cleaner formulated specifically for 'glass and hard surfaces' DOES may include chemicals that can be harsh on plastic- although I have never heard of any that would make plastic 'crack'. The usual result is cloudiness, hazing, or, in extreme cases of chemical abuse, solvents that make the plastic soft and gummy.

I wear polycarbonate lenses- have for many, many years (since they forst came out about 20 years ago, in fact)- and I have NEVER had any eyeglass cleaner product damage my plastic glasses in any way- even before they had the 'safe for plastics' labels.

I have also used discount store-brand eyeglass cleaner on my PDAs and other plastics for the last few years- again with no chemical-related damage.

Besides, considering that plastic lenses are so popular nowadays in glasses and sunglasses, why on Earth would ANY eyeglass cleaner maker possibly make a formula that would damage plastics, or include anything remotely 'corrosive' to be used that close to the human eye?

10. Dom71

I have prescription glasses that are made of a new type of plastic
    and it has been found that the cleaning product makes this plastic crack, so I'd rather not take any chances with the PDA... I think it's safer to use compressed air...

BTW, I think cleaning the glasses with a soft soap and water give much cleaner results... just a suggestion....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.