Export of Gnu Keyring to PasswordSafe?

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by need-advice, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. need-advice

need-advice Mobile Evangelist

After beeing a happy PalmOS user for a decade, I must move on.

Hence I need to move my password database from Gnu Keyring to PasswordSafe or just about any other program than can export to PasswordSafe. Target device is Nokia n810 / Maemo Linux.

If I get the passwords in any struyctured textfile, then I can do extensive string processing magic in Linux shell, to mangle the data. However... I need to get those password records OUT first.

Any ideas?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

3. need-advice

Yes, it has the GarnetVM that

1) crashes (Can't connect to GVM 0x30004000 or something like that) each time I try to install certain valid databases, or each time I try to open one large ebook, or randomly just for fun

2) randomly crash or reboot my n810

3) hijacks the memory cards: My media player cannot access the sd cards anymore while and after the virtual machine has launched. Same applies to map applications. Reboot of tablet required...

So, the Garnet OS virtual machine is hugely unstable and crashes the whole device and causes so much trouble that I would prefer it gone. Forever.

4. need-advice

Maybe I should just retype all those passwords... It's just about one hundred. But it's boring and I'm lazy.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

6. need-advice

Great! Thanks!

I can use the pyRing ringht now, and the java converter seems to allow me to migrate to more modern software :)

7. SGosnell

SGosnell Palm Pilot

I migrated to pyring. It will take the Keyring .pdb file and use it directly, and it works on Maemo and on the desktop. I wish it had more features, but it works well enough, and it's the only app I could find that would import the Keyring database without having to retype everything.

8. DarrellS

DarrellS Newbie

Another option:

I'm in the same situation. I want to load my password into Keepass and into something for the IPOD touch.

I used the desktop app Key Ring Windows Conduit to read the palm .prc file. Key Ring Windows has an export option, but unfortunately doesn't export in any standard format. I'm currently working on some python script to convert to CSV/TSV. I can give it to you when its ready if you'd like.

I also couldn't find the install file (windows) on the web. I can also email that to you.

9. SGosnell

SGosnell Palm Pilot

There are, unfortunately, no good password safes which do decent export/import. KeepassX only does a limited amount, and while there are a number of export tools for Keyring databases, there seem to be none specifically for Keepass, KeepassX, or other similar programs. I'm currently using a combination of Pyring and JPilot on Ubuntu, as well as Pyring on N800 and Keyring on Palm. I'm getting a lot of fragmentation, since it's hard to make changes on the same platform all the time. If Pyring had an export feature, that would make things easier, but for now there is none, and also none for JPilot, so I'm pretty much stuck. The search is everlasting, it seems...

10. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

Ain't that the truth. When I moved from Palm to Symbian, I tried a number of high end password keepers that all claimed to import from SplashID (there is a symbian version of SplashID, but it isn't compatible with my device). None were able to import properly. I ended up picking the best Password program and fat-fingering everything in. JRakes just went through the same thing switching to WinMo. :rolleyes:

11. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Yes, I did. :(

Well, sort of - I figure it'll take me until about next summer to actually get through all that crap, fat-fingering my way through all the records...

12. SGosnell

SGosnell Palm Pilot

I don't plan to do that. It's either an export/import or nothing. Pyring is what I'm on now, and the problem with it is that there is no sync or export. But I really haven't found anything better. It's a pain.

13. JRakes

Hehhehheh... I didn't plan or intend to do that, either, Stan. But, alas, I finally had to accept, much to my dismay, that it was either that or leave it all behind and do without entirely. There is simply no functional thread of connection between any of them that I could find.

14. need-advice

So... this must be done in steps.

I used the java exporter (export.jar) from http://gnukeyring.sourceforge.net/conduits.html

Just make a folder on desktop, place export.jar and Keys-Gtkr.PDB into it,
    then run cmd, do cd C:\Documents and settings\USER\Desktop\FOLDER and run:

java -jar export.jar Keys-Gtkr.PDB "PASSWORD" passwords.xml

The output is an xml file of this structure:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <pwlist>
    <pwentry>
    <title>TITLE</title>
    <category>CATEGORY</category>
    <username>USERNAME</username>
    <password>PASSWORD</password>
    <notes>NOTES</notes>
    <lastmodtime>DATE</lastmodtime>
    </pwentry>
    </pwlist>

The file also has three strange characters at the very start of the first line. I took those away by running "edit password.xml" in cmd prompt. Now I have a nice structured file with all the data.

Password safe (that runs on Maemo and on Windows) has an XML import. It just says "unrecognized file type". I just need to know how to modify the xml structure, to make it PasswordSafe -compatible. If anyone can help with that I can write an unix shell script in a matter of minutes, that rectifies the file.

Keepass can import from Password Safe, or so have I read on the net.

15. need-advice

Note: export.jar needs "PASSWORD" and NOT `PASSWORD´

16. need-advice

I got Password Safe V.3.19 from http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

It comes with pwsafe.xsd description file but I do not know how to interpret it.
    Then here's Bagusoft Password Safe also. Don't know how it relates to the other Password Safe.

17. JRakes

Many of the apps I trialed had capabilities to import / export, usually using a .csv format. The problem comes in mapping / re-aligning the fields from one to another. It seems none of them use a common field descriptor, and there's no structure to define a simple entry, such as using only a user name and password, vs a more complicated one that might also use an account number, secondary passcode, etc etc etc.

The import / export capability wasn't the issue - Getting things formatted correctly in the intermediate file is the disaster. Even importing a .csv into Excel or some such, the cutting / pasting / remapping involved is worse than just retyping everything into the new app, IMHO.

Good luck with it, though! I don't wish that sort of "manual migration" on anyone!

18. need-advice

I decided to try csv import instead. Just changed passwords.xml to passwords.csv on the command line to get comma separated values in the file.

The file required minor manual cleanup: All multiline notes were incorrectly processed (broken into many lines in the csv). I had to remove all those extra newlines from the csv file manually. It took me a couple of minutes to process all 184 records.

After that I could import the records to Bagusoft Password safe (but the unregistered version only imports ten records).

19. need-advice

The import took the field names from the first line. Correctly imported: description, category, username, password, notes.

However... all records have:
    Entry: <no name>

This should be a minor thing to fix.

Once I get that sorted out (can it be done automatically?) then I'll try to find a way to get this data closer to my PasswordSafe on Maemo...

20. need-advice

Keepass 2.x, too, imports the corrected file. Now it is the group (category) info that is missing. A minor problem. Cheaper than Bagusoft.