Experimenting With Replacing Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

It finally happened. I got a refurbed Lenovo Thinkpad X230 with 8Gb Ram a 2.60Ghz Core i5 CPU and a 128GB SSD drive. It has a 12.5" screen and a great Thinkpad keyboard. I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on it and this thing screams. I just purchased a new Lenovo branded battery for it. All my software is on it. This is now my primary computer. All my writing will be done here and it will travel a lot with me-- it weighs just under 3 pounds.

My Windows desktop will now be relegated to media and my radio production, but this laptop will be my work horse.

In fact, I'm no longer sure what to do with my 10.5" Android Tablet. I have been using it as my ultrabook for remote writing and editing, but now I really don't need it. Maybe I'll let Mrs. Hook try it.

I'm completely in love with my new computer and am quite happy with Ubuntu. I just am relived to have an operating system and programs again, without feeling like I'm caught up in someone's cloud system.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    lelisa13p, r0k, raspabalsa and 5 others like this.
  2. Hook

The cat approves (my son's cat, actually. I'm visiting him in Colorado right now):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    lelisa13p, r0k, raspabalsa and 5 others like this.
  3. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Indeed! The kind of heat that must pour off that also explains kitty's approval. Taking a second look at that picture, the cat appears to be leaning into a blast furnace as if trying to remain anchored. Stay hydrated, kitty! :vbwink:

But seriously :vboops: congrats on the gear. I used to kind of want an x230t with the old twist style 2in1 hinge. I think they dropped the t variants after that one.

lelisa13p, r0k, raspabalsa and 4 others like this.
  4. Hook

Oh, heck, what's a decimal point here and there... (I think I last heard that in a NASA lab). :vbgrin: Thanks, fixed.

lelisa13p, r0k, raspabalsa and 4 others like this.
  5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I live and breathe Lenovo business class desktops and laptops. With the switch to W10, many of the worthwhile tools Lenovo provides for their business class systems, have been incorporated into the OS. I've not played with Ubuntu much at all lately, outside of building new FOG servers. www.fogproject.org if you're interested. I know Ubuntu works well, I just don't know how well it handles all the extra goodies that Lenovo makes available on their Thinkpad line. I'm guessing it does pretty well. :)

At work, I've got W541 systems for our CAD / Science students, down to 9 year old T61 systems. They're tanks. That's evident in their super long life span. You don't get that kind of robustness out of consumer grade...

lelisa13p, jigwashere, scjjtt and 4 others like this.
  6. Hook

I'm not sure what tools you are referring too. Since I wiped and installed Linux, I'm not sure know how I would have Lenovo tools. Unfortunately, Lenovo no longer provides support for Linux, they don't even let you indicate that that is what you are running on your laptop. However, Ubuntu works seamlessly on their hardware with no driver issues that I've found.

I'm not someone who badmouths Windows. I've used it since Dos 1.0 and the OS has served me well. I have been trying Linux (many distros) since 2000 and it never tempted me. However, I have begun to dislike the direction I see Windows going (UI design decisions, cloud integration, subscription based software, intrusive notification schemes) and as my needs have narrowed and Linux has matured, Ubuntu and Lenovo has come together to perfectly fit my needs.

To me, any OS and hardware that does that for anyone is a good OS. :vbwink:

guywolffe, lelisa13p, r0k and 5 others like this.
  7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Hotkey integration, and power manager are the ones off the top of my head. Now, there are always ways to navigate to these settings, but when they're staring you in the face on the keyboard, and you can't use them... that kinda irks me. But like I've said, I've not put Ubuntu on a recent laptop, so I have no idea how it acts. :)

I make my W10 systems look like W7, and disable Cortana and Bing. I'm not the customer Microsoft wants, but that's not my problem. ;)

Use what works for you, and hats off to you for using what you like. :)

lelisa13p, r0k, jigwashere and 4 others like this.
  8. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Love the cat and mouse avatar, Hook. Oh, and I guess there's a thinkpad in there too ;)

To stray further off topic, when I first made my current avatar, I also crafted a disastrous alternative 'play' version (only click spoiler if you're not susceptible to seizures). :confused:

nezusplay.png

I also made something more elegant I hope to start using in the next couple of months if a certain mod rises from the primordial ooze of indiegogo:

nezuspro.jpg

zPro. It sounds like it could be an antidepressant. I know it'll improve my mood!

lelisa13p, r0k, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

zPro: don't sleep like an amatuer.

Hook, lelisa13p, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.