Experimenting With Replacing Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Jun 17, 2016.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Hook - if you see another sale like that - let us know.

Does it work in Chrome? I too have abandoned Microsoft but I use Google's Office for about everything except PowerPoint for presentations & for handouts in 2 columns in landscape mode. Google Office is not very powerful in those areas.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    jigwashere and Hook like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Since I don't use Chrome, I'm not sure what you mean by "Does it work in Chrome." I would guess since Google Office is entirely web based, Chrome is optimized to open them up. Softmaker is 100% non-cloud, so there is no concept of using the apps in a web browser. You certainly can keep documents in any cloud, including Google Drive and it will open those docs directly-- you can log into any cloud service from within the programs (I use Dropbox).

I will certainly let folks know if there is a good sale.

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm guessing he was asking if Softmaker works with Chromebook. I don't think it does.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  4. Hook

Ah, that makes sense. No. it's Windows or Linux only as far as I know. Sorry, Chrome is so far off my radar I don't even think of it. Not a criticism of Chrome, just my reality.

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  5. Hook

On another "note" (pun intended), until January 15th, Notecase Pro is having a buy one liscence get another of equal or lesser value free. Just thought I would mention it in case. I bought a limited Windows license originally, before I had time to really test the program. I'm going to use this sale to buy an unlimited Windows license and get the unlimited Linux license free, in the event I start using Linux more. :thumbsup: (The Android license is unlimited).

scjjtt, jigwashere and Mi An like this.
  6. Hook

Just wanted to post a note and decided this would be as good a place to tag it on to as any. This can become my "moving to Linux" thread, as I sem tobe doing that more and more now that I am getting more and more of what I need set up in Linux.

One big need was a good password safe that was a) easy to use and b) was available for all my platforms and would automagically sync with all platforms. I was spoiled by Safe in Cloud, which I love, but sadly discovered it doesn't do Linux and they have declared they have no intention to. :vbwink:

However, I discovered Enpass.

https://www.enpass.io/

This is a very nice program that actually emulates a lot of the design choices of SafeinCloud (assuming SiC was first, but I don't know). It also syncs through Dropbox (and other services) and is trully cross-platform. It imported my SiC data pretty accurately with one exception-- it didn't preserve the SiC category data (I think because that data item isn't actually on the SiC cards). Enpasses category system is less flexible in that they have a fixed set of categories and you can't add to them. They do have a huge library of templates to use withing each category. However, they provide a workaround of creating folders to organize your items and thus can be used to create your own categories, which is what I did. It works out just fine.

So it was a little bit of a pain to recategorize all my entries (they are categorized as "Imported" when they are read in), but I didn't have to hand jam any data. After setting everything as I wanted in Windows, I synced to Linux and Android and it went smooth as silk. Everything synced, including the folder categories I had created. Very nice.

The desktops for both Windows and Linux are free. The Android version really requires an in-app purchase of $9.995 as the "free" version only allows something like 20 items. Boo to them for a cripled trial rather than a fully functional timed trial, but oh well. It is what I needed and ten bucks across three platforms is okay.

I don't know where this company is, but SafeinCloud is Russian, so I probably don't care. It is a great program. The "io" domain on the link above doesn't tell you much. It's a domain that was created in 1997 for the British Indian Ocean Territory but that doesn't mean that's where these programmers are sitting on the beach. Apparently, the domain has become popular with tech startups because the domain is memorable (io - input output)and short. :vbwink:

There is also a Chrome version, but I know nothing about it. There are also Mac, iPhone and Blackberry versions. Truly cross platform.

The upshot is, I still prefer SafeinCloud's more flexible category system preferable and will probably continue to recommend it to anyone not trying to use Linux. But Enpass is close and includes the key features-- imports from a large number of other password safe programs, seamless cloud sync using Dropbox (and other services, but Dropbox is the only one I can knowledgeably claim is seamless), good library of item templates.

So, I'm down to only two things that really require Windows. One is Nexus Root Toolkit, but the answer to that is just getting off my lazy ass and learning fastboot commands. :vbrolleyes: The other is my radio station software required for my weekly but intermittent broadcast radio show I do for a radio station in Arizona. That will always remain on Windows. However, right now I'm just awaiting a faster laptop (looking for a refurbished not too old Thinkpad) than my long in tooth Thinkpad T43p to make the transition to Linux as my primary OS. :vbgrin:

7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Hook - I remember you going with SafeinCloud, & I even started to download the app but just never pulled the trigger. I'm just leary of having all my passwords with a 3rd party, especially with Russians - I mean if they can throw a whole election what are they going to do to my Amazon account? I have a pretty simple system of having a combo of letters, numbers & symbols for passwords for every site that are all different but the password is related to site (no, I don't use Neflix for Netfix - ).

What are the safeguards to companies you are using? With my luck with everything I end up liking (Palm, Web OS, Pebble) if I start using something like SafeinCloud - what happens when they disappear?

Just some reluctant thoughts, concerns & questions.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

8. Hook

Those are always a concern. Companies going out of business is always a concern and have happened to me before, particularly with password safes. It's one of those things you really don't have much control over and hope for the best. You could always go for the completely open source Keepass, but I always want something that can import from what I had before and such niceties.

In terms of security, in both cases, SiC and Enpass, the data is well encrypted and is on your server, not theirs. So, you have to worry about Dropbox, not the Russians, and, foolish or not, Dropbox doesn't worry me because I really don't think they can hack the encryption. And even if they could, I'm not sure why they would bother. Of course, someone could hack Dropbox. If you are worried about that, use Dropbox to sync once to all your devices, and then delete from Dropbox and update manually.

But honestly, I use these programs for convenience. An encrypted Excel sheet stored locally is probably fine. Hell, in the scheme of things, even an unencrypted spreadsheet is fine, but don't tell that to the security folks. :vbtongue:

9. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I use KeePass. It has Linux and Windows versions, as well as an Android version from another developer, which uses the KeePass database. I used LastPass for some time, but I sort of lost confidence in it with the sale, so I've gone back to KeePass. I also got tired of having to pay LastPass to use it on Android. I need a password safe for ChromeOS, but I haven't found one. But I can live without it for my chromebook, which I don't use every day.

Hook and jigwashere like this.
  10. Hook

I'm very happy with Enpass now after using it for some time. It's ease of use across all my platforms far outweighs the minor preferences I have for SiC and the folders-as-categories system works very well. And I have a refurb Lenovo laptop coming which is going to run Linux and be my primary computer except for doing my radio show. :newpalm:

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.