Experimenting With Replacing Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Interesting. However, on close examination it really appears that the notes are really just very feature rich flat notes. I downloaded the Android version and it is a very elaborate whiteboard app, meaning it's really more like PowerPoint retooled to produce notes. There's no free text, you have to use text boxes. It's just not what I really need.

But thanks. All suggestions are welcome. :newpalm:

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

One of my gripes regarding OneNote for Android is that it will only sync one notebook. On the desktop app I have several notebooks. This is not so big a deal for me, since I can still have other organization levels both on PC and Android. This is much better than Evernote or Google Keep, which also uses tag-based organization.

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I sync multiple notebooks on Android. I have 'Personal (Web)' open right now. I sync it. Then I touch the notebook name and it gives me a list of all my notebooks. I select the next one, then sync it. Is the notebook doesn't show on the list, I click 'open notebook.'

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  4. raspabalsa

Can you see all the notebooks on your Android device? I don't. But I haven't tried manually syncing them one by one. I'll give it a try. Thanks, jig..

EDIT: Ok, it works, but not right away. Every notebook must be "shared" with OneDrive. Once this is done, then the notebooks sync with OneDrive, and only then they will appear on the Android app, but not on the main notebook list. Instead, I have tap "open notebook" and then all my shared notebooks appear, and then I can add them to the main list. This is very convoluted. I didn't know I had to "share my notebooks with OneDrive", and I expected all of them to be synced to the Android app, especially since I'm logged to the same account as my laptop.

Anyway, gripe removed, now I'll just have to reorganize my notes with an additional level. I had removed the "notebook" level since I was unable to sync all of them. Guess this is a task made for a Sunday, right?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    RickAgresta, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

RickAgresta and raspabalsa like this.
  6. raspabalsa

I have OneNote 2016 as part of my Office 365 subscription. If I check a notebook's properties under OneNote 2016, the location points to my OneDrive Documents folder and there the notebooks appear just as url shortcuts. The actual content appears on a different folder in My Documents, with every notebook as a folder with the sections inside. Under OneNote, there's nothing pointing to the actual local storage folder. I guess users are not supposed to mess with the files, just manipulate content within the app. Convoluted, as I said above. But at least my notebooks are now syncing properly to my Android device.

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  7. Hook

There might be an iPAD Air in my future :vbeek:

That's sort of "click bait" as it isn't anything for sure. If it does it will be a ways down the road and I'll start a whole new thread about it. However, Scrivener (I own the Windows version) has just released an iOS version which introduces the possibility of working with Scrivener while mobile. This, for the first time, makes Scrivener tempting as my writing tool and therefore, also, my research notes tool. I need to do a lot of looking into how well they have brought the desktop functions to the Tablet app.

Now, I actually expect them to eventually create an Android version, but not much before 2018. Since it might take me that long to decide to replace my perfectly fine Samsung tablet, I may never actually get the iPad.

However, there's another reason it's tempting. The Android tablet world is really different from the Android phone/phablet world. Tablets are quickly abandoned, at least the non-Nexus ones. Samsung notoriously does this and the TAB S even seems to be getting abandoned by the ROM makers. This is unlike the phones that will see Dev support for a very long time.

Apple, on the other hand, keeps updating their tablets and there really seems to be greater writing app development (real authoring tools, not just fancy word processors) for the more lucrative iOS platform than Android. So, while I have no interest in an iPhone over Android, I'm beginning to give some thought to an Apple tablet. The $499 64GB iPad Air is not that much more expensive than my Tab S retailed for (although I'll never find the kind of discount on an iPad I found on my Tab S).

Just some random thoughts... :vbwink: It's probably the heat affecting me. :vbrolleyes:

8. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Apple usually has a lead on the accessory front. I recall there being some pretty cool 2-in-1ish ipad keyboards years ago last I looked, but I bet there's even better stuff now.

jigwashere, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  9. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Hook, say it isn't so!

P.S. We do have one of those iPAD in our home. I think it is a 2nd gen. Our son uses it for Netflix and some light composing on it. The price was right - it was given to us last year.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

10. Hook

I already have plenty of BT keyboards including the Apple one. ;-)

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.