Experimenting With Replacing Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

The feasibility test came out fairly well. I could switch right now as far as Word and Outlook go (the two I use most). Planmaker wouldn't take a work excel workbook that had a large number of programmed macros-- really more a software application than spreadsheet, but it has handled most everything else.

The one program I was afraid I wouldn't be able to replace was OneNote, but in fact I have found a solution that I'm testing now. I'm a ways still from jumping up and down and shouting eureka!, but it shows a lot of promise. The program is called NoteCase Pro.

http://www.notecasepro.com/index.php

It has a desktop that supports multiple platforms (Windows, Linux, OSX, and more), will install as a portable version and has an Android app. It is more like my old Palm favorite SplashNote in that notes are hierarchies that can go as deep as you need (notes can also be tagged). It has a sync capability that is a little arcane and I have not yet figured it out. However, dropbox works very nicely and even assigns NoteCase Pro as the default app for it's file type. It can take file and picture attachment to notes. And you can have multiple notes open in tabs.

It's not cheap. I just paid $20 for a one OS, 1 version plus Android license so I can do much more experimentation. The Android is a lifetime license. You can only get the free lite version in the Play Store. You have to download and buy licenses from their web-site-- no in-app purchase, which I prefer. Also, the website version is more recently updated than the Play Store version.

Once the dev acknowledges my order and I get the key codes (this is really old school :vbgrin:), I'll let you know what I think. So far, I'm loving it,

2. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

That's got some potential. Do you see that included word count? Entire document, that page and the current branch. Snazzy.

$20 isn't so bad either. I'll put that on my backup list.

3. Hook

Got my keys from the dev. Seems very responsive and he encouraged feedback and ideas. He said, about the Android version: "program is not being distributed through the Google Play store because Google does not support payments to Croatia" which explains why I found a more recent version on his web site. One of the things I want to explore is it seems to have extensive import export.

4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

The title change threw me for a moment (I went to page 2 first). I didn't think I'd read it before but I knew the subject had come up via Softmaker.

I'm going to try LibreOffice (does anyone know if it does columns?) but may still look into Softmaker.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

it does tables; would that work for you?

scjjtt likes this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

No I don't think so. I may install and try it out anyway. I'm also going to see if I can backup and install my official Microsoft Word to my new machine.

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

it may do columns, too, I didn't look any further after I saw I could do tables and not have any grid lines displayed. also expect that one could set tabs and use that to at least give the illusion of columns...

8. Hook

Ed, when you say Windows 10 doesn't come with a "good word processor," what do you mean. As far as I know, the only word processor Windows has ever come with is Wordpad and Windows 10 still has that. In the alphabetical list of apps, you have to look for the folder "Windows Accesories" and it will be in there.

Libre Office is probably better, but a lot bigger footprint. It probably does do columns-- that's pretty bog standard.

jigwashere likes this.
  9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, Libre Office Writer does work with columns. Finding the setting is somewhat convoluted - but then I haven't really tried to get used to this suite. I have Libre Office in Spanish, so the commands may be different in English, but to get to columns settings I do a right-click on the empty area of a page, Select "Page...", then a window appears, go to the "Colums" tab and there you can select the number of columns and the width of each one. By default "auto width" is selected, meaning all colums have the same width and they cover the whole width of the page.

Hook, your experiments are very interesting and helpful. My Office 365 expires this August, and the new route MS may take is making me hesitate about renewing it. However, I may end renewing it because my kids are learning Word and Excel at school. If I change to another office suite they may get confused (I know I do, with Libre Office) and get bad grades on their homework.

jigwashere, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  10. Hook

Again, I am working on putting together the options now, but I serious doubt anything too terrible is going to happen in the next year or two, probably not until the next version of Office. The nice thing about the subscription is you can stop any time.

jigwashere and raspabalsa like this.