Experimenting With Replacing Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

NOTE: I'm changing the title of this thread (which, apparently, we can do now) so I can keep using it to explore MS Office alternatives for the reasons given in this first post. I'll use this thread for the results of my experiments.

I picked up Softmaker Office for Windows on a flash sale today ($18-- not a web offer I can link but offered to registered customers via email). Microsoft's acquisition of LinkedIn has me a little worried about the direction MS Office might head, and I'm already using SM Office on my tablet, so decided to give SM Office for windows a try.

Included in the deal is Emsisoft Internet Security, which I didn't care about-- $18 for the office suite was a good enough deal. Right now I'm using Windows Defender plus a couple of free Malwarebytes add-ons and it seems to work fine ("seems" being the word I use with any AV package-- if I don't see any attacks, is my AV working?). :vbwink:

There is probably few AV/Firewall packages that get lower ratings than Windows Defender, but I've never heard of Emsisoft. I have found some pretty good reviews on line, though it gets rated kind of in the middle. It does seem to have a really nice UI in that most of its settings are explained in user-understandable terms. Here's an example of the kids of reviews I'm finding.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/security-everyone-reviewing-emsisoft-internet-security-11

I'm trying to decide whether to bother swiching from my current setup and use Emsisoft since I now own it anyway (I probably will), but was wondering if anyone here has any knwledge of/experience with it?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    jigwashere, scjjtt, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

jigwashere, scjjtt, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  3. Hook

There are free versions, but they are highly crippled. To me, $18 is a fine price for an Office suite that maintains (or claims to-- I'll be testing).

And, yes, as mentioned in my post above, that scenario and similar ones (the Outlook integration is scary too) is exactly why am exploring alternatives now.

4. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Many apologies, no experience with emsisoft, but I couldn't help but comment on this. :)

"Thank you for saving your Office file 'Confidential Trade Secrets'. Would you like to share this file with 1) the entire world or 2) just your entire industry?" For some reason I also like to imagine that there's a cancel option, but that it's always greyed out/inaccessible with the following offer: "If you sign up for LinkenIn 365, you may qualify to delay sharing 'Confidential Trade Secrets' with all your closest competitors for a limited number of additional saves." There might also be a countdown timer until it's automatically shared from a remote server where it has already been uploaded.

Office 20/20 | Your business really is our business.
    All-seeing. All-sharing. Always.

jigwashere, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  5. wozofoz

wozofoz Time Traveller

I haven't looked at security software since I bought my Windows 8 Asus Transformer Book T100TA which is now Windows 10, I am happy with Defender and the built in firewall. I don't believe most of the negative press I read about Defender, it is used by millions with very few problems plus the signatures database must be huge by now and growing every minute.
    A totally free, set and forget, lite on resources AV is the security software companies biggest threat.

I have used the portable Emsisoft Emergency Kit in the past to double check my Asus Transformer Book but since it is always clean I can't offer an opinion
    Is the Emsisoft Internet Security you got free for life or just one year (or whatever)
    Emsisoft has always had a good reputation and version 11 seems to be continuing the high standard.
    See this discussion @ MalwareTips

All the best, woz of oz

Hook, scjjtt, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  6. Hook

You hit the key question, Woz. It is only a one year subscription. Since I am happy with Windows Defender + Malwarebytes and already have access to McAffee for free from work (which I haven't bothered with also), I'm not going to bother with Emsisoft. I suspect I have so few answers here because Emsisoft ifs probably better known overseas than it is here in the US.

By the way, so far in my experiments, Softmaker Office + Thunderbird + Pimlical (Palm Desktop would work too) make a very nice substitute for MS Office. When I've had time to really sort things out, I'll come back and do a review. The Outlook to Thunderbird is the hardest, but I seem to be getting there. Obviously I have time before any changes happen, so right now it's a feasibility test.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    raspabalsa, jigwashere and Mi An like this.
  7. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Once upon a time I had been on the hunt for a OneNote replacement fearing it would become a subscription product. Then they went and made it free of charge and I haven't worried about it much since. Even so, after I stopped looking, I happened across Zim, a so-called desktop wiki that seems to capture a lot of what I like about OneNote. I'm not really using it at the moment as OneNote suits me well right now, but I very much like having it in my back pocket.

If I needed another office suite, I'd probably be inclined to use libre office in part because I used openoffice for years and I think I remember libre was an offshoot, so I'd be familiar enough with it.

jigwashere and Hook like this.
  8. EdmundDantes

I just got a new laptop and managed to get a virus/malware in the first day. I only downloaded Firefox, Adobe Flash (needed it), and VLC. I carefully unchecked all the boxes; but still managed to get 1 or 2 things (still not sure) that prevented me from using anything but Yahoo search. Not sure how it happened, but I think it was from Adobe (I remember unchecking the most boxes from that installation). My laptop is still not clean; but I think I managed to fix the search takeover. And all that was with McAfee enabled (came with the computer).

Hook, I'm going to see about that Softmaker Office. I need a new office suite since Windows 10 computers don't come with the stuff it used to, including a good word processor, which I need. And I don't want a subscription-based system. I'd use WordPad; but it doesn't allow for columns, which I use fairly often. I may also check out Open Office which has been mentioned here before.

jigwashere likes this.
  9. Hook

I think Libre Office is better than Open Office that it forked from. Softmaker Office is clearly much more compatible with MS Office, but it's hard to beat free, especially if you aren't heavily invested in MS Office compatibility. But for $18, I'm glad I got my hands on it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    RickAgresta likes this.
  10. EdmundDantes

Libra Office is the one I knew about earlier and was going to look into. I am subscribed and get some Softmaker emails but I must have missed the deal. I'll look into it a bit more.