Excel file protected/read-only all of a sudden!

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Truein, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Truein

Truein Mobile Enthusiast

I have had an Excel spreadsheet of my budget on my TX since I got it. I copied it to the card from my PC. No problems for the last few months. Now all of a sudden I can’t edit the one on the handheld. There is a little icon of a padlock on the top of the screen when in the spreadsheet, and I get a message if I try to do anything saying that it is either protected or read-only.

What I have tried so far, to no avail:

1. checking the PC version. It is not protected or read-write.
    2. deleting the handheld file and then hot-syncing to put it back on from the PC.
    3. deleting the handheld file and then renaming the PC file and hot-syncing to put it back on.

In fact, when I did #3, I added the renamed version and another, unrelated excel file to the handheld during hotsync. The new file was not protected, but the renamed version is still protected.

I am really stuck here, no idea what to try next. It must be something within the PC file, but as far as I can tell, it’s not protected or read-only – I can make changes to it no problem. Any help would really be appreciated!

2. Pulster

Pulster Mobile Deity

Check your SD Card hasnt got the Lock turnt on - was playing about with my card the other day and left it locked and came across similar problem.

But if it was locked you wouldn't be able to add files to it would you? I'll go away and sit in the corner......

3. Truein

Truein Mobile Enthusiast

No, that's not it. I forgot to mention that I also tried putting it onto the palm rather than the card, with the same result. Thanks anyway, though!

4. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Might you have accidentally changed the file's properties when Saving and Closing it on your TX?

5. rbeef

rbeef Roast Beef

D2G locks "imported" Excel files to read-only if there is an error in the spreadsheet or if the spreadsheet uses a function not supported by D2G. For example I ran across this close to three years ago, the ROUNDUP or ROUNDDOWN functions are not supported, only the ROUND function is supported and thus the former must be converted ROUND. The same is true of other functions. D2G is great for simple spreadheets but anything complex is not supported.

The way you can tell if the spreadsheet has errors or unsupported functions in it is when you open it in D2G the forumulas will be gone and all you will see are results.

Tiny Sheet supports all Excel functions. The only drawback is that it's slow, molasses slow when transferring to the handheld (like D2G it uses Excel and it's own app to do the conversion and transfer, it's a lot slower, hotsync can take over an hour). The other thing I don't like about Tiny Sheet is that it doesn't support zoom in or out, so not much is seen on the screen, which I find very annoying. If you absolutely need the functions D2G does not support, Tiny Sheet may be your only solution.

6. Truein

Truein Mobile Enthusiast

When I got home last night I took a closer look at the PC file. Sure enough, in one of the sheets there was a screwed-up formula, where it shows as #REF. The file is my budget, so the formulas are all simple addition and subtraction ones. I fixed it and tried again, and voila! All is good. Thanks for the help!

7. rbeef

rbeef Roast Beef

Too bad D2G doesn't produce error messages in the log when it encounters errors like this. If it did, the pop-up window would display and one would know that something was amiss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.