eReader released for Symbian S60v5!

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Hook, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Her Clack is Worse Than Her Bite

eReader for Symbian S60v5 <-- Link

That's the good news. The bad news is it is a little buggy. I'm hoping to get them rounded up and submitted to eReader, but readin through doc and making sure they are not things I'm over looking first. For example, it seems t reset the 5800 if you try to use the landscape onscreen keyboard for registering. Also, it seems not to be ably to find my books on the card although I think I did everything right.

It does give me access to my Bokshelf so I can get the books there.

It is wonderful t have it, but so far it seems a lot clumsier than the Palm version, alas, but I'll report back when I can sort out for sure whether eReader of Hook is being clumsy. ;)

I'm very excited. This was the one app I desperately needed for my Nokia.

2. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Sweet! Congrats man. :D I know you've had a rough time of this one.

I also feel the winmo version is clunky compared to the Palm version. I do like bookshelf access, but sometimes it feels like the guy who designed the interstate highway system had a heavy hand in the interface.

3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Hook, its probably not you. eReader on non-touchscreen Symbian was super buggy for me.

4. Hook

Well, I'm getting it tamed and it is not as bad as I first thought. I finally figured out that the manual lied to me about where to put the pdb files. :rolleyes: Aside from the bugs, this is actually starting to get pretty nice.

It seems to respond well to massaging (that's your cue, Joe). ;)

At least I no longer have to install Styletap every weeks. :rolleyes:

By the way, I was wrong about the .kz format. That is some kind of ****-data.

5. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Congrats, Hook!
    I bet they actually released this version for you, haha! You just said some days ago it was no longer relevant to you, so there may be an eReader poster in BH.

It's a bad thing it's acting buggy. As far as I understand, it shouldn't be that compicated to offer a program in a different platform to keep native files consistent. But again, I'm no programmer. Keep us updated!

6. Hook

I'll come back and do a review once, as I say, I'm sure I'm not complaining about something that really has a solution. I have to say, things are getting more positive as I work with it.

7. Hook

Hmmm, spoke too soon. After it looked like I was making progress, I discovered a show-stopper bug, unless I'm just plain doing something wrong.

This thing can't seem to fully paginate books. I transferred a book I had been reading in Styletap and tried to jump to the chapter where I left off and it only could paginate 40 pages. I would have to close and restart to get it to go back to paginating. After hours and hours, I maybe got 140 pages.

It did this whether eReader was instaled in phone memory or on the card, and whether I downloaded a book from my bookshelf or side-loaded it. It did it with different books, including the free ones that install with the program.

I have a help ticket in to eReader.

Meanwhile, I will be reinstalling the trial of Styletap. :rolleyes: :(

8. Hook

Well, after trying to work with this for nearly a week, this is a hopelessly broken app. I don't know if they developed it and tested it on an N97 and these quirks are peculiar to a 5800, but whatever the story i is unusable.

Very frustrating. I'm either going to keep using styletap or turn my old T2 into my ebook reader (my wife is now using Hookette more and more as a game machine-- she has n interest in the PDA functions).

9. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

That sucks. :( I hope ereader gets it fixed.

10. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I wonder if B&N stole all of ereaders good programmers; the Android app is pretty bad too (though not as bad as the symbian one!) Android eReader is horrifyingly light on features. It doesn't even let you change the background colors or fonts. Grrrrrr.

The symbian app for symban v3 is terrible too. I couldn't even get it to open a book...so at least you got your books open!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.