Engadget Turns Off Comments

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by Ed Hardy, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

While discussion here at Brighthand occasionally gets a bit acrimonious, we've never come close to the flame-wars that developed at Engadget recently, to the point where the site has taken the radical step of temporarily turning off its commenting feature.

As Engadget's Joshua Topolsky said in a post:
    I'm not here to gloat about another site's misfortunes, but rather to applaud Brighthand's readers for going against a trend. As a general rule, posts here are polite and informative.

Thank you all for behaving like adults. I know it's occasionally tempting to pull out the flamethrower, but the moderators and I all appreciate it when you show restraint.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Indeed, it's amazing how sane this place is. I've seen people here be derisive of technology, but I have rarely seen any of the regulars be derisive towards another poster and, always, pointing it out ends it (because, in most cases they only meant to criticise the technology and not the users of it).

I do think we as a community help that happen, but we'd have a losing battle if it weren't for the mods, editors and admins. Cheers to all for creating this island of sanity. :)

3. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Gloating might actually be called for -- so I'll do it for you. For starters, despite paying pretty well, Engadget's editors frequently make massive factual errors and then neglect to correct them even if dozens of commentors point that out instantly with links to back up their point, within seconds of the post (Topolosky doesn't do this, but several, even long time editors do). That starts making commentors a little hostile, it also indicates that comments weren't being read at all for moderation (whereas BH is pretty proactive -- they don't pull the trigger on teeny slights, but they pay attention and address issues) or anything else. Their level of professionalism is surprisingly low, they aren't after all, just another blog. Engadget is actually a serious business with corporate backing, good pay and an enormous audience.

The editors are also snarky on technology issues in way that draws snarkiness in the comments. Live by the snark, die by it. To wit, they admit commentors are a tiny percentage of their readers, and that the ones causing trouble are a tiny percentage of commentors. Solution: shut down commenting to give them time to start moderating again because they haven't bothered in the past and haven't budgeted time to accomplish it without a moratorium, even though I seem to recall editors have that duty in their job description.

I'll be amazed if they actually carry out moderation duties with any more professionalism than they have many of the other duties on the site. They may be a bigger target for flaming than BH, but I'd wager their resources are sufficiently parallel to threat to be able to deal with it if they cared to. Even though I mostly like Josh, his little condescending "unacceptable" annoys me. He's the one who fell down on the job by letting his editors drag the place down. That is unacceptable. He should be apologizing and begging readers' forgiveness, not lecturing.

4. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Isn't that the truth given the "clientele":p :D :p :D

JK, Ed!! ;) I echo the "Great Job" comments by all to all!

5. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

<Joe-Boy stumbles in, sits in the big "Client" chair, looks at Brick and the other clowns, and yells...>

I just LOVE this place! :D

Seriously: As has been said before, but bears repeating, BH is truly an oasis among forums, discussion boards, and groups. It's an amazing place, IMHO! :newpalm: :cool:

6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Polite: check
    Decent: check
    Useful: check
    Informed: check
    Serious: check
    Respected: check
    Organized: check
    Practical: check

<looking on either direction>

... ... ... Sane?

Back OT, I also use to have Engadget as a reputed and serious business, but they don't pull that much muscle in their community system. That's not about speaking the truth or the facts. That's about enforcing a healthy community scope. Everybody trips every now and then. But you gotta be ready to listen to somebody that's bringing clear facts or better evidence. That is the foundation of a learning community.

7. bluefish

bluefish I am not a PC...

Madness and sanity are only opposite sides of the same coin.

Technical support here is truly amazing.
    The friendships built here are even more so...In the real world people let me down...here it is refreshingly honest open and/or insane.:)

8. r0k

r0k Dazed

Other forums I frequent include Crackberry and MacRumors. They are both more active than bh lately but there are a lot of emotional rants going on. Macrumors just gave a couple of the more heated users time outs. I found out later when their time outs were over and they reported no communication from the moderators other than a timeout message. I guess it works if you have a lot of traffic and few moderators but I've always felt that bh does a much better job of communicating whether its in threads or using our pm system.

9. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Managing online communities - such things were predicted in the 80s by folks whom I read and admire still (re: smartmobs.com)

10. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

This seems to be the pattern with sites of this kind. Some are quite good and some are bloody awful. The actual "thing" of interest is irrelevant. I am on several motorcycle-related sites and the "law of extremes" prevails there as well. A psychologist could have a field day with this.

Sorry for Engadget but kudos to all here at BH!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.