Email Notifications

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by LandSurveyor, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

May I suggest that the default for email notifications be set to "Instant" or "daily" instead of none? I realize you don't want to inundate members with junk but it seems to me that anyone who replies to a thread would be interested in any following discussion. I certainly am.

Thank you.

2. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

What do you mean?, you do not remain logged in through out the day? Shame on you.

There are other options that you can select. I find the email notice a bit over the top, unless I am in a panic situation and MUST know as soon as a reply to a thread is posted.

You are subscribed to a thread if you posted to or created, you can subscribe to a thread if monitoring by making the selection, and you can subscribe to an entire FORUM if of special interest.

Or when you check back in to the forum, select your "User CP" (control panel) and it will list all threads you have particiapted or are monitoring that have updated since your last visit.

Also, select teh Remember Me option if you are logging in from a non-public device, it will save you time and typing on each following visit.

The real secret is check in frequently, and if have the time, just remain on continously and tap your "User CP" option on the tool bar.

3. LandSurveyor

I just subscribe to "instant" because some days I can check in frequently and some days I am in the wilderness sometimes w/o even a cell signal. I do not currently possess a smartphone and have to wait until I get back to the office or home to see what's going on.

Thanks for the tips.

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

I agree that email notification is over the top. I don't appreciate any forum that sets my email options to instant by default. When I first joined 1src (I think?) it was like that and I had to spend a lot of time fishing through and unsubscribing to threads to stop being hammered throughout the day.

You do realize that with your post count of 618, if you were subscribed as instant in all those threads, and if BH was as busy as it used to be when it was directly linked from Palm.com, you could be averaging over 3,000 emails a day right? Over at Crackberrry and MacRumors I would just about have a nervous breakdown if I subscribed to emails from threads. :eek:

5. LandSurveyor

Point taken. In truth, I am never subscribed to more than maybe a half-dozen BH threads at a time so it's never been a burden. But now I understand the "no" default.

6. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I read a lot of forums, on a lot of subjects. If I got an email for every thread I've posted on, on every forum, I would get almost constant emails. I don't want them, and I don't want to have to turn them off on every forum, most of which have their own way of doing that. Every one I know of defaults to no email, and I vastly prefer that.

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I don't subscribe to any. I just check in once a day or so and scan the new posts since my last login and use search to double-check which threads I've posted in that have new content (just in case the new posts search doesn't show it).

8. LandSurveyor

It just occurred to me because I am a member of another forum that seems to use the same forum "engine" as this one and their default was set to "instant."

Apparently "instant" is as bad for discussion forums as it is for coffee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.