Electronics, Brink Of Failure

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NetBrakr, Feb 8, 2017.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

I hate when you paid good money for an electronic gadget, and within 2 years of using it, it started to have problems.

In my case, my TPLink DSL/Wireless router combo, DSL modem feature is giving me problems recently. It gave me no "internet" light, and when i reboot it,it worked fine again, until "internet" light went out. The "phone' light shows, but for some reason DSL modem will not connect to my ISP. VERY ODD. I guess either my home's phone line is damage or DSL modem is dying. I had that TPLInk device for about two years.

To solve this problem, I went back to my OLD SpeedStream DSL modem and Motorola wireless router. If it's just the TPLink device, I will know at the end of the day, make that two days just to be absolute certain. And I will just buy another TPLink device, but this time it will be white.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I've seen this kind of problem on TP-Link's routers. Annoyingly, this brand has become almost universal for home and small office network equipment here in Colombia, so it's increasingly harder to find other brands locally. I've tried factory reset, updating firmware, but eventually I'll see the problem again on several of the TP-Link routers I have both at home and camp. Perhaps you should try a different brand (not just a different color ;) )

scjjtt, RickAgresta and NetBrakr like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

headcronie and NetBrakr like this.
  4. NetBrakr

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Has TP-LINK Customer Support provided any useful suggestions? Regardless of whether the device is still under warranty, CS has an obligation to you, NetB.

scjjtt likes this.
  6. NetBrakr

Nevermind, looks like the phone line is damage, probably the phone box outside as I found out this morning, that my DSL modem was blinking. That is what happened the last time, so unstable around 4-5 years back. Looks like I am going to have to upgrade to expensive Uverse by force.

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Generally, the line coming into the residence is the responsibility of the phone co., meaning it's their dime to fix it.

NetBrakr and jigwashere like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Agreed. Either way, fixing a phone line is one of the easiest repairs.

NetBrakr likes this.
  9. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I just got this router 4ish months ago. Upgraded from the Netgear N600. Hard to walk away from a lifetime warranty on the N600. :/ But I was outstripping the capabilities of the device. My home network is not a typical network. Any router I get, is turned into a general access point, as I have a server that does DHCP and DNS. Overkill? Yes, but that's the way I like it. :)

scjjtt, NetBrakr, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  10. NetBrakr

At&t told me that if that if it's the outside phonebox, there is no charge. BUT if there is a problem in the house, there will be a charge. I remember the time when they fixed the outside phonebox, no charge; and the time when fixed the phone jack in my house, I had to pay.