Edit: Unimpressed with the Huawei Watch 2 Classic...

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Sep 23, 2017.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

So I received the Huawei Watch 2 Classic today, and after setting it up and using it for a few hours, the verdict is.... I'm unimpressed.

It's a decent enough watch overall, looks really nice, responds well, etc., but surprisingly Asus seems to have much more extensively embraced the Android Wear formfactor and OS. The stock watch face assortment for the Huawei is a fraction of the stock faces that come with the Asus ZenWatch 2 (and even more come with the ZW3). Also, the complications on the Huawei faces can only use the Huawei apps/data. Meaning, that if you tap on the weather complication on the Huawei watch face, it takes you to Huawei Weather rather than Google Weather. More significantly, it only uses Huawei Health instead of Google Fit. With the Anroid Wear 2.0 update, the complications on the Asus watch faces can use either the Asus apps, Google's, or quite a few others.

There's a noticeable difference in the charge speed. The Asus ZW2 quick-charge feature is really nice and VERY fast -- like 3-4x faster than charging the Huawei. The battery in the Huawei is supposed to last around 2 days, but I noticed most reviews ended up with about a day with a little left over at the end. This is pretty much what I get out of my Asus ZW2 as well, but even if I don't (from using the watch more, etc.), the quick-charge feature can bring it back to 100% from like 50% in just 15 minutes.

My ZW2 feels heavier than the Huawei and it makes the Huawei feel plastic-ish. It does have a quite a bit of plastic on it, even though I purposely waited to buy the Watch 2 Classic to avoid all the sports watch plastic that's on the regular Watch 2 models.

I think I'm going to try the Asus ZenWatch 3. The lacking 3rd-party band support is still a bunch of fickery, but at this point I'm a little worried that if I want to go with a round Android Wear watch for a change, I'm going to have to stick with Asus, because I don't think I'd be happy with any of the others. Again, Asus seems to have really gone neck-deep into Android Wear, whereas the rest seem to be about ankle deep. Asus actually has quite an extensive Android Wear app suite for their watches, whereas the other manufacturers don't seem to have anything close. Because of this, I would suspect that Asus would force you to use their apps on their watches, but it's actually the opposite -- you can easily use other apps/data sources, but for quite a few of the features/complications/etc., I find myself wanting to use the Asus ones.

I'm glad I tried it, but I'm rather surprised at the outcome.

Edit: WOW...just noticed that the Huawei Watch 2 Classic is no longer available through Amazon, and when you click on the link to buy it from 3rd-party sellers, it's now way north of $300 (and in fact most sellers have it closer to $400). I'm a little tempted to keep it and resell it myself. I could probably make an easy $50 at least!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017