Edit: Unimpressed with the Huawei Watch 2 Classic...

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Sep 23, 2017.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I love my Asus Zenwatch 2. Unfortunately, it's getting a little cosmetically abused to the point that it's starting to bother me a little, so I'm thinking about upgrading. The obvious upgrade path is the Zenwatch 3, but it's missing some features I feel it should have (like being a little more water resistant than "Don't get me wet" and a heartbeat sensor is rather glaring omission for the 3rd model release), and then there's the stupid, proprietary band. Y'know, Asus did so well with the Zenwatch 2 band -- I have no idea why they botched the ZW3 band so badly. Basically, the ZW3 only comes with a leather band, and since the connection point for the band is so narrow (even though the band itself is rather wide), the only 3rd-party band you can use is literally the width of a bracelet. There's a successful kickstart campaign going for a ZW3 band adapter, but although it was supposed to be publicly available by now, it's still not. It's also not all that inexpensive, so the adapter and a metal band is significant cost, especially when it's "necessary" right out of the box, and the ZW3 isn't all that inexpensive of a watch (definitely not the great deal the ZW2 was).

So, I started looking at other smartwatches. I quickly disregarded anything from Samsung (kinda tired of Samsung's proprietary everything -- their watches aren't even AndroidWear). I always liked the original Huawei Watch, but it's not an upgrade since it's older tech than the ZW2. Initially I didn't like the Huawei Watch 2, because they went totally "casual/sport" with the design (plastic/rubber everywhere!) rather than anything remotely dressy. However, considering the amount of abuse my Zenwatch 2 has taken just with daily use, I'm starting to reconsider to the point that I think a more casual or sport design might actually be better for me. I'm a retired network engineer/stay-at-home dad -- I don't really need a dressy watch. Just as I was coming to this conclusion, I noticed that Huawei released the Watch 2 Classic, which is a dressier metal version of their original Watch 2. It's fairly new, so it's $100 more than the original Watch 2. I might wait for it to go down in price, but I also can't help thinking that something more casual would do me better. The main reason I have a smartwatch is for exercise/health monitoring, which means sweat, which is specifically not dressy.

The good news is that whether I choose Watch 2 or the Watch 2 Classic, they tech specs are identical. I highly suspect the thriftiness in me will win out, and I'll end up with the more casual Watch 2. As usual, I'm turning to my Brighthand peeps for their opinions on the matter.

lelisa13p, Mi An, Hook and 3 others like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - I won't get a watch today that I couldn't use a standard band.

I haven't really been watching (no pun intended) what is out with new watches. My Pebble Time Steel is used 5-6 days a week & still looks great (I have to put a new screen protector on it though). Because I hardly use the ZW2 - it still looks new.

Keep us posted on your journey. We will expectantly keep watch on this tread, (pun intended).

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

3. internetpilot

Well, thanks, Huawei....they raised the price of the Watch 2 I wanted by $25 and decreased the price of the Watch 2 Classic by $25, so now there's only $50 difference between the two. Makes me wonder what's going to happen in two weeks.

I really have to stop posting on Brighthand BEFORE I buy. Clearly all the manufacturers monitor these threads in blatant attempt to screw me over my planned purchase decisions.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  4. internetpilot

So the Zenwatch 3 band adapter seems to be "more publicly available" now than previously. It still seems to be tied to the Kickstarter thing, but not really, but it's still waitlisted, but not really...it's annoying...really. Anyway, I looked into ordering the watch, the band adapter, and an aftermarket metal band, and everything totals up as follows:

- Asus Zenwatch 3 (black): $211
    - Zenwatch 3 band adapter: $31
    - Shipping for the adapter: $17 (the only cheaper option takes up to a month to arrive)
    - Aftermarket metal band: $20
    TOTAL: $279

- Huawei Watch 2 (black carbon): $299 (yep, it's up to MSRP now)
    TOTAL: $299

- Huawei Watch 2 Classic: $326
    - Aftermarket metal band: $20
    TOTAL: $346

The prices seem to be fluctuating significantly on literally a daily basis. The Concrete Gray version of the Huawei Watch 2 is typically much cheaper ($240) than the Black Carbon version, but the Concrete Gray version has (in my humble opinion) butt-ugly mustard yellow accents on it, including the two buttons. I guess it all boils down to how much I think a heartbeat sensor is worth.

When the Black Carbon version of the Huawei Watch 2 is down in the $240 range, it seems to be the best deal of the three watches. No watchband issues, heartbeat sensor, casual/sport casing (which is growing on me), etc.

5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I think $31 for an 'adapter' is a non-starter on principle for me.

scjjtt likes this.
  6. internetpilot

Hey, it's "on sale" from $37. What a deal! :D

I just don't understand why Asus felt the need to totally bork their Zenwatch 3 band like they did. That's just stupid. Most of the ZW2 owners are not upgrading to the ZW3 solely because of that. I mean, hence the reason for a ridiculously overpriced adapter.

I'm also having quite a bit of trouble with the a $350 smartwatch, too. If it's $350, it had better be "smart" enough to have diamonds on the face.

scjjtt likes this.
  7. internetpilot

OMG...even the hideous "Concrete Grey" version of the Huawei Watch 2 has now gone up in price by $40.

A refurbished gunmetal ZenWatch 2 which includes a matching metal band at $124 is starting to look really good right now.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - interesting you say that - I went on Amazon yesterday to see what ZW2's were going for. I was tempted to suggest to you to just get another ZW2 after I saw what you could get a new or refurbished one for.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

9. internetpilot

I really was looking to get a heartbeat sensor with my next smartwatch purchase, but I don't know if it's worth the premium price to me.

During my usual rounds I've noticed that refurbished ZW3's are also now on Amazon, too, and for enough of a discount that it more than negates the 3rd-party band adapter. I also saw some pretty nice 3rd-party leather watch bands for the ZW3, as well. Now if someone would just make a metal one...

Huawei really needs to realize they're not Samsung, both with their phones and their watches, as I think both are extremely overpriced for a relatively unknown brand that no one knows how to pronounce.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scjjtt and raspabalsa like this.
  10. internetpilot

Patience (stubbornness) pays off! Late last night I got the Huawei Watch 2 Classic new for $220, which is $150 off the MSRP (which is what this watch has been going for lately). The Asus ZenWatch 3 has been discounted down to $180, but the Huawei seems to be the better reviewed (and definitely better featured) watch. We'll see.

There's also now a 3rd party metal band for the ZW3 that won't require the adapter, but it's a metal chain mesh style that I don't really care for. The Huawei Watch 2 Classic comes with a hybrid leather/rubber band, but I also found a nice 3rd party metal band that matches the "titanium" finish well. If I start using the Huawei for exercising, I might just use the stock band or pick up a rubber sports watch band. Again, we'll see.

I'm really looking forward to playing around with it. I'll miss the built-in sleep monitor that comes with the Asus watches via the Asus ZenFit app, but apparently there is an add-on (paid) for the Google Fit app that allows for sleep monitoring, including using the heartbeat sensor.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk