Ebook Readers?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by LandSurveyor, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

It may be too soon yet, but I wonder it Brighthand will consider a forum section devoted to ebook readers? I wouldn't buy one just yet but the potentional is there.

It occurred to me just today how much I enjoyed my old Palm IIIc for ebooks even despite its limitations (lo-res screen, playing card-sized "pages" and battery life) and I thought to myself that if Palm were to apply the same kind of thinking that brought the PDA into being in the first place, they might make a killer ebook reader.

Just a thought,

Mark

2. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

Perhaps. Personally, I've been surprised at the success of the Kindle. Why would I by a dedicated e-book reader? My iPod Touch makes a very nice reader...and so much more.

But, I can see where the mods might add a section for such devices....

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

<playing devil's advocate, or something similar..> sometimes I read and listen to tunes -- I can do that on my TX; is there an iPod Touch app for that? <sorry, DH, I'm weak and unable to resist temptation>

4. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

BH covers ereaders in the news already. A sub-forum for ereaders makes sense. Maybe just a general one though. There's such a thing as too much forum splintering (device specific, OS specific, carrier specific, tons of overlap).

I wouldn't buy them because 1) I don't want to pay extra for a screen tech that limits me more than cheaper screen techs 2) the major options tend to ship with carrier data radios -- meaning the up front price is further inflated because you are paying for a lifetime of 3g data for downloading books.

OTOH, if the right ereader came along (nook + pixelqi LCD for main screen, wifi only), I'd be all over it. I'd still use my TP2 to read on the go, but I'd use a dedicated reader at home, at the bookstore, at the park etc. I guess I'm more likely to end up with a 5-7" smart tablet that I can install ereaderware on from multiple stores.

5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Truth be told, I still use my Axim for ebooks, tunes, etc. but its battery life is abyssmally short and my older eyes (just got my first pair of bifocals) could use a larger font.

Also, such a device could easily add PDA functions in an unobtrusive manner. Might be a sneaky backdoor way to resurrect the PDA.

6. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

There is, by the way, a very good dedicated ebook reader forum at Mobileread.com. That's not saying we couldn't also have a forum here, but they do a pretty complete job there.

7. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

Um...yeah..... can listen to music in the background and read in Stanza, Pocket Bible, Olivetree....

The Touch "multitasks" as much as the TX ever did. :p

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I talked to my BinL about this. He has the DX and although he wouldn't say this before, he agreed that it's more of a pain than it's worth. It's relatively heavy and he's always afraid he's going to break it. He reads quite a lot (I'm not sure how he does that, given that he has 2 kids and a very time-consuming job). He likes that it holds a lot of books and has long battery life; but even using it on the subway is cumbersome he says.

9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

The DX is BIG, though. My Kindle is the size of a hardcover book, and weighs a bit less.

I am a pretty avid reader, and the major selling points on ebook readers for me:
    -Battery life
    -Ability to carry many, many books with me.
    -Pricing is more favorable, especially for new releases.

For me, I'd rather keep my phone separate. If I read on my phone I get distracted by every buzz and beep, but if I read on my Kindle I can turn off the constant distractions.

10. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

It's something I've been considering.

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.