E71 - SUDDENLY: No Caller Name Displays!

Discussion in 'Symbian' started by MSL, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSL

MSL Mobile Evangelist

Like I said, It's a Nokia...

My migration from my Palm TX to my Nokia E71 got suddenly complicated.

Within a day or so following my first first sync (using Nokia PC Sync) between my E71and Lotus Organizer, I noticed that NAMES for incoming and missed calls from callers already in my contacts no longer display. Only the numbers. Names (per my contacts list) did display before I did the sync to Organizer. Calls dialed from the contact list still show up as names in the log -- however, the same number dialed from the missed calls list or directly from the screen does not resolve to a name. Only a number shows.

I'm really perplexed about this, and highly annoyed.

1) The numbers are NOT/NOT duplicated anywhere in my contacts, and I have NO contacts saved to my SIM card. NONE.

2) Deleting an entry and then creating a new one from the missed call list (using the same number and name for the new entry) doesn't help. Still no name displayed.

3) I've noticed VOICE TAGS which I don't ever recall seeing before I synced - maybe they were there, but I don't recall them. And those little pacman icons do rather catch one's eye.

4) Numbers are not oddly formatted, and in any event, they've not been changed. But something has certainly changed.

I've read the postings on this problem in the Nokia Discussion forum (where I've also posted this), and the only hope seems to be a complete deletion of my phone-based contacts, with a restore via PC--> Phone from my Organizer contacts list. I'm reluctant to try this, as the problem began with the sync between the two.

Better ideas?

2. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

i've seen this happen on a few occasions. Sometimes, its network related, where the caller ID data from your carrier, or the cell you are receiving the call under doesnt resolve with the format the device reads. I have seen this across several mobile platforms.

Or, there could be the reoccurance of a bug that might have already been resolved with a firmware update. Connect your device to your PC and run the Nokia Software Updater application. There was a major update this past Friday and depending on the version of firmware you have, this could have been something addressed for this device already. Be sure to backup all your content (use the File Manager app to make a backup on your memory card, and PC Suite to do one on your PC) before doing any updates.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately, for #q, there is nothing you can do about that other than readding numbers into your address book and hoping they resolve.

Something I just thought of, for those items this is occuring for, do you have multiple numbers for that contact with the same label (for ex. Mobile Work noted for two differnet numbers for the same contact)? That could also be something to look towards.

3. MSL

MSL Mobile Evangelist

Thanks for the reply.

1) Caller ID info is coming through fine, and displays the correct NUMBER. That's not the issue.

2) The numbers are not duplicated. And although I do use multiple numbers for some contacts, each number uses a different label. But, for the number being testing now, there's only one number and only one label. But you're correct, duplicate Numbers OR Labels WOULD be a concern if present.

3) Firmware? --- maybe, but unless this problem is explicitly mentioned in the latest firmware release, I'll be hesitant to go through the thrash of another update. But, others have indicated that formatting the phone (which happens with the firmware update anyway) might "cure" the problem. So, maybe if I find nothing else, I'll do the update.

4) I still have no clue as to the sudden appearance of the Voice Tag Icons. I suspect the process which caused their appearance is related to the disappearance of Name Resolution with CallerID. The Sync process is the only thing I can think of at present.

Cheers,

4. MagDroiDic

MagDroiDic Mobile Enthusiast

I have the same problem every time
    1. my sms inbox + sent messages exceed 999 amounts.

I only need to delete some of my sms and the number will display again.

2. Duplicate name in my contact list

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.