DynaWrite: My "new" Drafting Keyboard

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Feb 6, 2021.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Ermmmm... Coffee Ice Cream????

RickAgresta, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I think the unit is neat Hook & it will be second nature once you get familar with those commands.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

3. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I just picked up a second one of these. It was listed "in good condition" but "not working or for parts." The pics looked good and there was a implication in the description that it wasn't really tested. It could be just a dead battery. I got it so I could really take it apart, completely, to see what makes it tick and figure out how to keep my primary unit alive (for instance, is there a backup battery buried deep down). Also, I want to begin, with a couple of friends of mine who do this kind of stuff, to figure out what I will do to replace the battery when it goes.

This one comes with all the software CDs so, if the software works on Win10, I may be able to get the Dynawrite to talk directly to my computer for transfering writing and backup rather than a USB stick. It also comes with the telephone attachment which I assume turns the Dynawrite into a Type to talk phone (which I have no need of), It even has a spiral bound copy of the physical manual.

Worse case, I'll have a replacement keyboard. :D

4. raspabalsa

Sounds like it's a good plan you have there, Hook. I'm all in for having a "not working for parts" device. I think I have in total about 3 Palm TXs, one of them in full working condition and the others just to keep the first one that way. I'm surprised that you so quickly planned for future repairs/refurbishing of your Dynawrite. Looks like that gadget really has impressed you! If you ever need help with the battery swap (I guess what I really mean is: "if I'm not one of those couple of friends you mention" :(;)), I've on a few occasions helped people change their Palm's batteries over a Skype videocall. I'd be very happy to help you in any possible way :newpalm:

5. Hook

Wow, I'd love to have input from you when I start down that road. I was referring to two friends who are geographically closer, making it easier to ship the parts device if I needed to for them to take a look at, if necessary, but I'm hoping photos and spec parameters will be enough. However, if it involves soldering... :D

I assume the first order of business will be to find a replacement battery with the same parameters and then figure out how to wire it in. More when I actually embark on this project.

6. raspabalsa

Hmmm... I wonder if I could solder remotely with one of these:

:cool::D

But then the first order of business would be building the robot arm, which also involves soldering. That means that first-first we would have to fashion a more simple thing, kind of like a pantograph connected to your PC or phone, so I can build the robot on-site but without actually being on-site :D < raspy drools almost incontrollably at the possibilities>

7. Hook

So, I received my "parts only" Dynawrite and it works fine. Came in the original packaging with all of the software, the phone box (allowed you to talk to someone over the phone by typing) chargers for both the Dynawrite and the phone box. a phone cable, a shoulder strap that looks suspiciously like a guitar strap and doesn't have the right connectors. and a printed, spiral bound manual. Oh, and it came with a very nice 128 MG (not GB) USB flash drive which is smaller and looks much more attractive sticking out the back of the Dynawrite. The battery was flat, but It charged in a couple of hours and seems to hold a charge just fine. I was right-- they just didn't want to be bothered testing it. So I have a second very clean, not scuffed up Dynawrite.

The software doesn't work with Windows 10, not surprisingly, so none of the backup/restore functions, using the Dynawrite as an external keyboard or transferring text directly to computer functions are available to me. However, the USB transfer works fine and I will continue with that. Also, no chance of mucking around with the phone attachment without the software, but I don't really have a use for it. It's basically incompatible drivers, I think.

I will take this second one completely apart and get pictures I can use for future reference. Once I have done that and determined if there is a coin battery buried in there, then I will begin work on figuring out if a replacement battery of some sort can be rigged up. With my consultants (e.g. Raspy) of course. :vbwink:

Can't believe how lucky I've been with getting these machines! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

2019-09-04 07.51.20.png

9. Hook

So, I've now have to correct this initial impression. Apparently the second unit doesn't have good battery life at all. I hven't tested how much writing time it gives me off a full charge, but the battery went flat after two days of being off whereas my first unit showed no reduction of battery level in that same 2 days of being off. So will soon begin the battery project. I have been involved with a lot of things including Mrs. Hooks cataract surgery, but hoping that Wed morning I can take the 2nd unit completely apart, photograph everything, find the backup battery (manual confirms there is one, and do a lot of photos of the battery and battery connection. I'm not sure which will be more fun. Writing on the 1st unit or taking apart the 2nd. :vbgrin: :newpalm: :thumbsup:

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Helga's buddy wants to help...
    [​IMG]

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.