DYI Lighting Ideas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NetBrakr, Jan 23, 2017.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Last week, I bought a Brightech LED SKY Lamp 30w (white one) from Amazon. FAIL, the brightness was so low to be 3000 lumens, it's should be under 1000 lumens. My current 3-way lamp is brighter than that cause I am using 1100 lumens LED bulbs. So I returned it to Amazon, gave me advance full refund. That Brightech lamp suppose to be replace my current 3-way lamp. Anyway, now I am trying to different ways to replace my 3-way lamp. Right now I am thinking of doing dyi lighting.

I am thinking of getting two of these.
    https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-...F8&qid=1485151440&sr=1-5&keywords=Plant+light

With these bulbs

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-eq...1485153041&sr=1-4&keywords=BR30+bulb+led+100w

This is what suppose to look like.

IMG_20170123_112423.jpg

IMG_20170123_112518.jpg

As you can see from the pics, I plan to place the light each side of the walls (with 3M Command). I am going to twist the wires little bit to make them neat, I will be using some sort of wires holder.and then when at the bottom I will be using Y power cable to let them using one power outlet. I think it will be safe since the LED bulbs are only 15w.

So what do you guys think? Just fyi, I would buy a product that's similar to this rather this DYI setup.

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

That looks like a decent setup. It would have been VERY helpful if you had provided a link to the exact lamp that was giving you problems. I found a brightech sky lamp that is a tall floor lamp that casts light on the ceiling. The ratings indicate that most people were satisfied with it. If this was the one you had then I can understand why it wasn't working for you because you need more lumens in a reflected light setup than you would need in a direct setup like the one you are describing in your post above. It's possible the base is hollow and the command strip won't have anything to attach to. In that case you could mount both of them to a piece of wood, then hang the wood on the wall using picture hanging hooks. I would much rather use screws or nails to hang lighting than any sort of adhesive product. Command strips can do more damage than screws or nails. A screw or nail hole can be filled with a tiny bit of spackling plaster but a command strip might tear out a 2 inch long chunk of paint instead of releasing as advertised.

I had some fluorescent kitchen and breakfast nook lights and for years I would go on a quest to find the replacement bulbs when they blew out. Finally I got tired of the BS and I bought ordinary medium base bulb holders and a pack of 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs and waited for the fluorescent tube to die again. When it did, I took down the fixture, took out the ballast threw it away and I put in 3 of the ceramic medium base bulb holders. I wired them all in parallel, put in 3 LED bulbs and put the fixture back up in the ceiling. It looked great and was brighter than before. I had two identical fixtures so I bought 3 more bulb holders and waited for the other one to blow. It died about 6 months later and I did the same thing again to the fixture in the kitchen. This time I used a different color temperature bulb to get more of a task lighting than a soft lighting effect.

NetBrakr, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  3. NetBrakr

Hey r0k,

This is what I ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/Brightech-To...&qid=1485666649&sr=8-2&keywords=brightech+30w

Although yeah, according to the customers' review, it should be a great lamp. BUT when I read more of it, especially the one star review, it is pretty darn accurate.

As I said on the earlier, it isn't 3000 lumens on what said on the description, or else I will be BLIND. I upgrade my LED bulbs (got two), 1500 lumens, It almost uncomfortable when looking at it directly, so yeah, 1500 lms will be my max.

r0k likes this.
  4. NetBrakr

End result.

rsz_img_20170206_104828.jpg

r0k likes this.