Duplicate Disaster = no sync!!

Discussion in 'Palm' started by justinsmom, Dec 29, 2011.

1. justinsmom

justinsmom Mobile Consultant

I found one day that my Palm and the desktop both had NO items in the calendar other than those which were repeated weekly, monthly, or yearly. I have BackUp Buddy on my handheld so I hit "restore" and in so doing, have duplicates of everything that was on the handheld before I did it. I sync'ed with the desktop and now it too has tons of duplicates and has decided not to fully sync anymore.

Is it possible to purge all calendar items from a certain date backwards? I would not want to use any of the options given by the Palm, which makes "2 weeks ago" the longest past date from which to start. Does the purge always have to start from 2 weeks before today, or could it be any date I choose??

Please help. Without the ability to fully sync, the whole system is useless, really.

Amy

2. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

In the Prefs app, goto Date/Time and set the date you want to purge from. Then purge everything before today (the new past date). Then reset the date to today.

If you sync with OutLook, you can view lists of your data sorted by creation date. Delete all of the easily found dups in a group.

If you sync with Palm Desktop, you will need to hunt them down.

3. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

There is an easier way but it might cost you some.
    There still exists an application called Undupe, from Stevens Creek Software.

I have used it in the past when I was still on PalmOS, it works flawlessly.

Josser's suggestion is also good but requires some more fiddling ;)

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

What is the benefit of purging? Saving memory storage space?

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Depends on how popular/busy someone is. :) Currently my Zire 71/TE/TX records cover the entire year 2003 to present date.

From the Palm Knowledge Library (2003):

6. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

What's the use of having the same info twice in your face ?
    What's the use of having event reminders popping up multiple times over and over again ?
    What's the use of editing an event only to find out there are more at the exact same time so you go numb to the alerts given to your system, potentially missing the ones you need to look at ?

Efficiency and trusting the info in your calendar. That's why you should avoid duplicates.

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I have no idea what you mean. I wasn't talking about duplicate events, just old events on my Palm. But I guess it's probably good to go back and purge now and again.