Duplicate contacts & calendar items

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by mcisco9091, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcisco9091

mcisco9091 Newbie

This is making me crazy:

I run WinXP at work and home. Same OS, same updates, same version, same everything.
    I use outlook exchange at work and home. Same account, same server, same everything.
    When I hotsync, I tell it to syncronize, thus the contacts, notes, ect. that I have added to the phone will show up on outlook & vice versa.
    However, no matter what I do, it creates duplicates in these two areas (contacts calendar). Is this software really so rudimentary that it cannot see that THE ITEM ALREADY EXISTS in the phone & in outlook. I do not see how it could mistake, for instance, two contacts labeled: "Neal, John" and think these are distinct. Am I missing something?
    Again, it creates dupes on both the handheld and outlook that HAVE NOT BEEN CHANGED ON EITHER.
    Please help before my phone intersects my brick wall.

Thank you very much for helping a (very disgruntled) fan of my Treo 680

As my blood pressure lowers, it occurs to me I should also mention that I am using Outlook 2007 at work AND at home & have the appropriate conduit. I am sure I am leaving out information that could be helpful, but at this point, cannot think of what that would be. Please reply & I will furnish any info & and clear up any confusion.

Thank you again.

2. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Welcome to BH mc!!!:newpalm: :newpalm:

It has been a while since I have used Outlook but if I remember correctly there should be a Menu item that says "delete duplicates". Do that within Outlook then set your conduits to say "Desktop over writes Handheld" for one time only. Then sync. That should clear out the duplicates on both your computer and your 680.

I use to have to do this from time to time wuth my 755P. I am not really sure what caused it.:confused: Someone else will have to explain that one, But that is how I use to fix it. Good Luck.:D

3. maclaren

maclaren Mobile Deity

Did you install the Palm hotsync conduits update for Outlook 2007 ?

4. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

In the conduit setup there is a checkbox for "allow sync to multiple computers". If it is not checked you will get duplicates as the computer can not read names, it only sees record serial numbers and the two computers have different record numbers assigned. It is a Window$ thing.

5. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

That's it.

Actually, mcisco9091, you can create address book entries named identically, and clone them ad infinitum, either in your Palm or in Outlook. The entries are getting different registering names but this is out of your sight. The reason why you get duplicate entries is because the system you have built, Palm OS/Palm Desktop/HotSync Manager/Office Outlook, establishes that one given entry in the computer is replicated in the mobile device. If a given entry is not identified as "handcuffed" to an entry in the mobile device, then both are treated as different ones. As Josser posts, allowing the sync to multiple computers solves the issue. One computer is defined as "primary", and the other, or several, are defined as "secondary".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.