DUN on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by Antoine Wright, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Are any of you using a PalmOS Treo with Ubuntu and doing DUN (dial up networking) or BT DUN?

I am looking into getting a new laptop and will be runing Ubuntu on it and want to be sure that I can do DUN/BT DUN before going for that specific route (will have to keep XP on it otherwise). Thanks in advance.

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I'm using Ubuntu, and a 755, but so far, I've not even been able to hotsync. :( I honestly tried too, just earlier this week. My TE syncs just fine, but my yet unsynced 755 refuses.

I'm not familiar with setting up DUN / BT DUN.

A good place to start looking would be here: http://ubuntuforums.org I'm sure that you can find the answer there, or post and get a response.

3. Antoine Wright

I am not too worried about syncing, but that's a good thing to know. Thanks for the link.

4. Antoine Wright

5. headcronie

Gnome Pilot, JPilot, just to mention two of them. I'm a Jpilot user. Either way, I'm not too concerned.

Glad you got a start on your DUN project. :)

6. Antoine Wright

NOt yet started except for doing that bit of homework. I just got the ($100) laptop today and right now doing some system level diagonistics on it. Considering its specs, I wan to turn it into a near-Foleo device (30gb hd, 384mb ram, 800mhz cellron, but no wireless at all). Looking at Linux for a number of reasons, cheif of which is that I can start from scratch a lot easier and I haven't played with in in some time.

In looking at it now, the battery is horrible on it, it will certainely be a stationary laptop. All the more reason to have a solid OS and build in multiple ways to connect. BT DUN is going to be my first way, and from there, who knows.

7. dmccunney

dmccunney Mobile Deity

An 800mhz processor will be adequate, and a 30GB disk should be sufficient, but you probably want more RAM if possible. (You certainly want it if you wind up keeping XP -- the "sweet spot" for that is 512MB of RAM.)

I'd look at going with something other than Gnome or KDE as the desktop window manager, and using something like Enlightenment. Gnome and KDE are fairly large and resource intensive.

I'd also look at Puppy Linux as a possible alternative to Ubuntu, since it's intended for smaller machines with less resources, and available in several different configurations from absolute minimum to fairly fat, depending upon what you are trying to accomplish.
    ______
    Dennis

8. headcronie

Puppy is nice, but it really lacks the applications in comparison to Ubuntu. If you want to reduce your overhead, look at Xubuntu. It uses the XFCE desktop. Much lighter, but it does the job well. http://www.xubuntu.com/

I'm running it on a PIII 866mhz, 512mb RAM, 20gb machine. It's faster and more stable than the previous OS was, for sure.

9. Antoine Wright

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually rolling on the laptop as I type this now. Debating either the Linux route, or just doing a browser (Opera 9.5 Beta) and using web services fro everything. Seeing that this laptop is very clean, there isn't much of a hiccup in terms of anything right now.

Those other Linux distros are interesting, I shall have to take a better look at them later on.

EDIT: Just looked at the specs, its a 2.02Ghz Celron with a 64MB video card; I might just need the RAM and this setup would work great for either window or Linux.

10. dmccunney

dmccunney Mobile Deity

That presumes you will have an internet connection at all time to do that.

If you've got the horsepower, Ubuntu is probably your best current bet. I mentioned Puppy as it's designed for lower end machines with less resources.

Even better. A 2ghz Celeron has the CPU power, and a 64MB video card ought to handle the windowing.
    ______
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.