Dual SIM functionality?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, Dec 11, 2020.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Because I use local SIM cards when I'm abroad, I'm considering buying a dual-SIM phone so that I can use my home SIM when I need to receive one-time passwords etc. But I'd like to be able to disable the home SIM most of the time, to avoid the annoying SPAM calls I get, without having to physically remove it from its slot.

Is that possible with the current version of Android please? It would likely be a Samsung phone, if that makes a difference.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

For some years and several Android versions, phones with dual SIMs have settings similar to these ones:

Screenshot_20201211-170614_Call settings.jpg

Here you can select which SIM to use when you call, message, etc. Tapping on each SIM takes you to another menu where you can turn each SIM on/off without needing to remove it from the phone. Usually these settings are under Settings - > Connections -> SIM Card Manager or a similar path/name.

When you shop for dual SIM phones, be sure to check whether the SD slot is shared with the second SIM, or is a standalone slot. Shared slots may hold either the SD or SIM card, but not both at the same time. If you need an SD card at all times, then a phone with a shared slot will not be a good choice. My Galaxy S10+ is dual SIM but shared slot, and since I always carry the SD card it's just as if it were a single SIM phone.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    lelisa13p, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  3. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks for that info raspabalsa. At the moment I'm looking at Samsung A71, which I've been told has dual SIM slots and a separate SD slot.

lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Pixel smartphones have dual Sim functionality. They use a built in eSim as well as a physical Sim card. Some people use the eSim with their carrier for voice and text and activate the Sim for data only with a different service

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/9449293?hl=en

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

scjjtt, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  5. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks jigwashere. I hadn't heard of the built in eSIM, but that presumably ties you to the carrier that sold the phone. My A71 is on its way, so it's two physical SIMs for me.

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

eSIM doesn't tie you to a carrier. You can switch carriers any time.

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  7. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Unable to activate foreign SIM card.

So, I've been using my Samsung A71 for a few weeks with only my UK SIM card in it, but today I decided to add my Thai SIM card in preparation for a trip. I get a message asking me to enter the country code, so I entered '+66' but it was rejected so I then entered '66' and that was rejected. I've now got a message "Region locked. Enter MCK. Network unlock code blocked. Too many incorrect attempts.", which I can dismiss and my phone then works normally with my UK card.

The internet has shown me what an MCK code is, and there's places that offer to provide it, for a price. I've got the sticker that came with the Thai SIM card packaging, and it has a SIM number, the phone number, and a P/N number. Will any of these help me get my Thai card working alongside my UK one, or do I have to wait until my trip, and then get the Thai mobile service provider (AIS) to sort it out for me there? I've tried their web site, but no info there.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I can offer little help with that, abenn. I've never seen that message or had those problems with international SIM cards. When I travel to another country I usually activate the roaming service for a few days or a week at most, just in case I run into problems with that country's SIM card. Once I've sorted that out, I disable roaming or just let it expire without using. This can be expensive, but it's a sure way to prevent losing connectivity upon entering another country.

jigwashere likes this.
  9. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks for your reply. I've often used this Thai carrier's SIM cards in my old Samsung S5 phone, swapping it for my UK one when I arrive in Bangkok. Never any messages of any kind -- just worked as soon as I install it in the phone.

I'm going to contact the vendor of the phone, in case it's something that they've done to lock it to UK networks only though, thinking about it, that didn't seem to be the case initially for it was simply asking me for the country code after I installed the Thai card. The message about MCK code appeared after I tried too many times to enter the country code.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Any chance getting a new Thai SIM for your account might clear the block?

scjjtt likes this.