Don't Text Me

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS -- April 16, 2010 -- An Application for the iPhone was released today with hopes of curtailing accidents while people are texting and driving. "DON'T TEXT ME" is the name of the App and is available on the iTunes Apple Store.

"It's simple to use and, hopefully will save lives" says the developer of the application, Dr. Sev Hrywnak. All you need to do is create a list of the people who constantly text you, store it and, with the push of one button it notifies them not to text you while you are driving. When you have arrived at your destination, you press another button which tells your contacts you are available and can receive text messages. Other features can also be customized such as: don't text me I'm working; at a meeting; in class; at dinner; or, whatever suits any given situation.

Dr. Sev Hrywnak is the President and CEO of Advanced Surgical Center in Chicago. His company, Dr. Sev LLC App Developers along with software developer Oscar Zeballos of Renegade Applications are proud of the "DON’T TEXT ME" application.

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

At the risk of stating the obvious, isn't it just as easy to NOT read/answer texts while driving, just as you would if you were in the shower or asleep? And just like you do with phone calls???

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

hmmmm....maybe there's a market for a "Don't Use Me!!" app, as well -- shame this isn't in OT to start out with, I have a few ideas that might be unappreciated in the News fora..… :rolleyes:

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

You're right, but I think this app does have value. When people send me a text message, I can't always respond right away. An app like this would let me program my phone to automatically respond. It's similar to 'out of office' messages in email programs.

5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Being that the iPhone OS can't multitask, this app would have to be open to run it. Leave the app cuz of a phone call, or anything else you just have to do while driving none the less, and...

Good grief. This is a joke.

6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

I remember a couple of apps for Palm OS phones that I've tested, within this fashion. Notify Them and (...) think the other one's something like TreoChat. Either, can't remember, allows to reply to incoming calls and messages with a preset message. I tested both, they ran fine, but I eventually ditched them in a spring cleanup. Following the SR approach (just don't answer right away), I decided I was better with less apps springing like mousetraps in my Treo for any event ocurring at any instant along the day. BTW, provided the Palm OS devices don't multitask either, these apps actually behaved fine, the only bad thing is that I already had other apps installed that woke up with calls and messages. It was a fumble-amongst party for most of it.

One of the best features for the case is the Go-Silent-and-Don't-Gripe button at the top of the Treo devices.

7. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

FYI, when you're doing something (netsurfing, playing Bejeweled, etc) an incoming call will interrupt & give you the option to answer or decline.

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

To add to what Silly Rabbit wrote, why does it have the list feature? What, are you going to respond to texts from those who DON'T normally text you?!

That said, a feature that provides a function like the setting for email that rejects emails when one is on vacation or the function that allows for an alternative voice-mail message when one is out of the office makes a lot of sense. (Not that most people who normally text/talk/Twitter while driving will actually use it.)

9. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Your first paragraph was something I took into account when I ditched those 2 apps from my Treo. I receive quite a lot of SMS from my carrier, involving assorted notifications, announcements, offers, etc. Most of them are sent without a number, which I gather is a feature reserved for the carrier itself. Any attempt of replying that type of message returns an error.

10. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

I'm with SR & Varjak - Do we (rhetorically speaking) really need this sort of app? Sounds like yet another excuse for shunning personal responsibility, to me, just like the act of texting while driving to begin with. And those idiots (yes, idiots) aren't going to really use something like that, any more than folks are going to respect a "don't bother me" message.

A rejection message app as suggested, however, could be useful. Touchie has such an app for incoming calls - When activated, it sends a text message (from a predefined set of "templates" or custom) to the caller. Then again, I thought that's what voice mail was for - Leave a message and, if you're worthy or I feel like it, I might call back when I feel so inclined. Heeheehee... I just LOVE some of those creative voice mail greetings! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.