Does wireless charger heat significantly harm battery?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by SyncRaven, Jul 15, 2016.

1. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I had a Qi cover for my Samsung S3, and I liked it. Unfortunately it splatted on a concrete floor face-first and is history. My N5 charges well on the charger I bought along with the S3 cover. I usually have the wireless charger on the headboard of the bed, and it's possible to move the phone in the middle of the night, shifting it off the perfect spot on the charger, so it doesn't charge well, or at all. The simple solution is to put the charger and phone somewhere where they won't be touched in the night. I do notice that the charge is usually less than 100% in the mornings, but 98-99% is close enough. Like others, for me the biggest benefit of wireless charging is the lower wear on the port in the phone. Saving a few hundred connections/disconnections each year can't hurt. I wish I could charge wirelessly in the car, but that's more trouble than it's worth. The 5+ hour trips to visit the grandson, with Google Maps and the music player running via bluetooth are too much for the battery in any phone I've ever used.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I think on the Tesla (Lithium-based batteries) they use the 20 percent figure.