Does wireless charger heat significantly harm battery?

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by SyncRaven, Jul 15, 2016.

1. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

So since AT&T has improved in my area i've decided to go back to the yotaphone 2 (missed the eink).
    I have a new one on the way.

My goal is to use this phone for as long as possible (3-4 years at least). The problem: at least right now there is no source of replacement batteries. So if it dies I have to pay a very expensive fee to send it to the official repair depot as opposed to doing it myself, or buy a new one.

It's Li-Ion, and from what i've read I should recharge it before it reaches 50% and I should not leave on it on the charger overnight.
    I'm very lazy about plugging my phones into usb and often let them drain to 0%.
    So I was thinking wireless is the way to go since i'm much more likely to put it on the charger often and many have auto charging shutoffs.

But, most of the articles say wireless chargers are hard on batteries since they generate heat and will prematurely kill the battery. I've seen some people say if your going to replace the phone in 2 years then it doesn't matter, but don't use wireless if you want the phone to last longer.

The only article i've found that says otherwise is this one:
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/wireless-charging-better-batteries-jacob-babcock

So what do you guys/gals think? Try to be better with a cord - or go wireless which would make it easier for me to keep it charged?

Also if you think wireless is the way to go, anyone know a good brand of qi charger? Some articles said the cheaper wireless chargers generate more heat.

scjjtt likes this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I don't think it makes a difference really, but a wireless Qi pad saves a lot of wear and tear on the mini-usb port. Here is what a site I like says about wireless charging.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_without_wires

The key thing is that the heat stops when the unit is charged, which favors topping off rather than deep discharge, which is actually not that good for Li-Ion anyway. I have Qi pads all over my house and at work. Whenever I am not using my phone for an extended period of time and I am not out and about, my Nexus 5, nearing 3 years old, sits on one and does so all night while I sleep. It does not get terribly hot and the battery is still going strong (the few occasions when I've though maybe it wasn't, chasing down errant programs or a simulated battery pull has solved the problem).

scjjtt, RickAgresta and raspabalsa like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I agree with Hook especially regarding topping off vs deep discharge, but also consider this: most of the heat produced during charging is generated by the battery itself. The chemical reactions inside a battery are exothermic, and the amount of heat depends on the current flowing through the battery. If you use a fast charger then more current will flow and the battery will get hotter. However, battery technology is continuously improving, and modern Li-Poly batteries can withstand more heat without degradation to their capacities or lifetime, compared to batteries from 5 or 10 years ago. Wireless chargers have amperage ratings, so if you get one with 2A rating -and if your device can charge to that current- then you will notice it gets hotter than if you charge with a 1A charger.

Also, some wireless charging pads include fans, so they have good heat dissipation, meaning less heat is transmitted to the battery.

4. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

For what it's worth, the OEM Turbo Charger that came with my Nexus 6 causes more heat than the aftermarket Qi charger that I use. The Qi charger also shuts off after the battery is fully charged, which most people complain about when using it as a nightstand charger because then their phone isn't fully charged when they wake up in the morning.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

A quick redtech solution, (a redtech is someone like me, who doesn't have the know how to be a redneck but can apply redneck solutions to tech problems) would be to put the charger on a timer that turns off power at midnight (or any time that you know your phone is fully charged) and then have the timer come on an hour before you wake up - which should bring the phone back up to a full charge.

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

raspabalsa and RickAgresta like this.
  6. Hook

I've got to say, I've almost never had this problem with a Qi charger and, the occasional time or two it has happened, the battery is at 99 or 98 when I wake up. The circuit just shuts off. If the phone loses any power because it is doing something, it goes back on. I suspect it they are showing battery loss, their devices are being knocked off the sweet spot somehow (most of my Qi chargers aren't fussy about placement, but the Nexus one I have is). This is my experience, anyway.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  7. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the feedback. I've decided to go with a wireless charger. I've ordered red Tylt Vu ($35 on amazon) which seems well reviewed and I even found someone had specifically used it with the yotaphone.

It was really reassuring to hear your phone is 3 years old and going strong. I'm hoping for the same :).

Good point! I did notice a lot of heat with the previous yotaphone 2 when I used the regular usb charger. But, as mentioned i'm REALLY lazy and tended to let it drain to 0%, so I think making it do a full charge produced a lot of heat.

Apparently the VU shuts off and then rechecks occasionally, and then starts to recharge if the battery goes down.
    I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. It's nice that it when I take it off it should be near 100% but not sure if that is good for the battery health. I know it's good to keep it over 50% but not sure if micro charging is good. According to the charger manufacturer it wont hurt.

I did consider this actually, but I opted against it based on knowing myself.
    I've learned long ago that it's not easy for me to change my bad habits.
    For some reason plugging in a cable is some great hardship for me LOL.
    So iv'e decided the wireless option is probably better since i'm more likely to use it (since I just put my phone down at a desk). And if i'm more likely to use it then the battery will be kept charged and more likely to be kept healthy.

Thanks again everyone :).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I thought the 'best practice' was to charge when the battery got down to around 20 percent, not 50 percent?

9. Hook

Not Li-Ion batteries. That old battery practice is actually harmful to modern batteries from everything I've read. I rarely, going back to my TX, have ever let my batteries drop below 60%. And, as indicated, will top off opportunistically wherever I am that has a charger.

EDIT: Found Link I was looking for thanks to an old Palm post by Rick A: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, this is one of the advantages of wireless charging. The USB port in my 2-year-old Xperia Z1 is so worn that I have to wiggle the cable connector in the port until it makes contact, and then I have to gently place the phone on the desk, or connection is lost. My LG V10's USB port has a very close fit (it's still very new), but this only means that tolerances are tighter, and thus more prone to wear. I've been considering getting the wireless-enabling back cover to reduce usage of the USB port and prolong its lifetime.

scjjtt, Hook and RickAgresta like this.