Does speed matter?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by nashdude, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nashdude

nashdude Mobile Enthusiast

I was looking for a new 4gb SD card and I'm coming across a few (now that I know to watch out for SDHC :mad: ). Most of the ones I'm sure about say 45x speed. There are some Transcend 150x SD cards, and they don't show SDHC on them, so it looks like I'm in business. But I'm kinda gun-shy now. Can anyone tell me if the card being high-speed would affect whether or not it would work in Palm TX?

2. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

High-speed cards are better for devices that have to do a lot of fast writing to the card, as opposed to reading (for instance, digital cameras that have to quickly dump each shot). It will make little difference on your TX as you will mainly be reading information from it, Nashdude. :)

3. dogbarber

dogbarber No one in particular...

The police seem to think speed matters.....:p

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Another Brighthander, Dick Tracy, recently purchased the 4GB Transcend 150X SD card. Here's the thread (don't let the title fool you :) ). Her post regarding speed is #15.

1GB card for $9.99 (USD)

5. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

I have the same card as DT, with the same experience, but I can live with it. It is in no way a deal breaker.

6. Donx

Donx Mobile Deity

IMHO, speed does matter. Check out my posts on that same thread that jigwashere references.

7. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

To me the speed maters for two reasons. I had a slow 4 GB card and found it to be very frustrating for two things. One was when locating articles in my Wikipedia data base (1.8 GB file). This was way too slow for my tastes. The other was when FastForwarding through commercials in TV movies that I record with the computer and then watch on the TX. A fast 150X Transcend card made both of these very quick and pleasurable by comparison to my slow TopRam 4 GB card.

8. mansfield

mansfield Palm Enthusiast

I have all my music on a 4G Tracend 150X and it is slow to open the library in PTunes.

9. nashdude

nashdude Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks so much, guys! My biggest concern was whether or not a 150x would even work on a TX. No, speed doesn't mean a deal breaker for me, but I would much rather have the 150x so I'm not sitting at my comp three or four times as long while trying to copy episodes of 24 :D

Thanks for all the info :)

10. Donx

Donx Mobile Deity

I have one Transcend 150x 4GB card that I bought a few months ago that works well. I recently returned two Transcend 150x 4GB cards because their write speeds were unacceptably slow. All three cards look identical. Only the external packaging was different.

Just so you know, the 150x speed designation on these cards refers to their read speed, not their write speed. All three cards had excellent performance when reading data from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.