Does BB 10 fit the bill?

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by GoodPDAuser, Jun 23, 2013.

1. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

I've been looking to replace my 1st generation iPod Touch for years now. I'm not naturally an Apple fan, but we got this device from work. I switched to it when my Palm PDA started dying. The Touch also eventually worked poorly and unreliably for a host of reasons. Android looked like a solution, but I held back because of what I read about its security model. I keep a lot of information on PDA that definitely should not go into the cloud or be accessed by any app other than the host notes/contacts/calendar app.

The BB now seems to be the best solution, so I browsed online articles and videos. Now I'm wondering if I can get feedback from those familiar with the device on how it meets my itemized requirements.

As a reference point, let me be clear that I think Palm use to be the golden standard. Being a throwback to those days, I don't use many of the capabilities of the new devices. I don't do games, social media, I am not constantly connected, so the BB hub is probably not a clincher. About the only real-time communication I do is texting and cellphoning on my cell phone. For my past PDAs, the core apps are calendar, contacts, & notes. Over the years, I've gotten to appreciate WiFi-enabled capabilities like mail (IMAP), maps, browsing, streaming music/radio, the occassional short video. Apart from WiFi, I have also gotten spoiled with MP3 files, podcasts, camera, and not having to use Palm's error-prone stylus/graffiti.

Things that I haven't experienced on the same device but would like to are phone, texting, data plan, video recording, and landscape orientation slide-out keyboard. A non-slide-out takes too much display area, and a portrait oriented keyboard is too error prone for my hands. It is a blessing for one-hand usage, but I'm willing to give that up. I've never seen a device with slide-out keyboards in both portrait and landscape orientation, and I doubt that any vendors will make a slide-out of any orientation for the BB 10.

About security, I realize that BB has the firewall between the corporate and personal use, but this will be a personal device so that is a nonissue. More of concern is avoiding a hazard that a friend described with respect to Android -- he said that there are times when the user can hit the wrong button and sync contacts with Google's cloud. This was a deal breaker. The only thing I want clouded was email, since I use gmail anyway. Other than that, clouding is a definite no-no. Does BB email have to go through the RIM cloud, or can I set up an IMAP client directly to gmail? How does one sync calendar, notes, and contact with Outlook? Does it go through a USB cable, home WiFi, or does it have to go through a cloud? What about syncing media files such as sound tracks and pod cast episodes?

The final thing I'm wondering is a bit of a biggy. It just drives me nuts that OS/app developers insist on throwing the time-of-day in your face at every turn. I am trying (as I always have been) to convert myself from a night-owl to a normal person with enough sleep. Being constantly hammered on the head with the time is the death knell for this. This behaviour is baked into the DNA of most devices/OSs. The irony is that I doubt most people care about the time of day at every waking second. Is there a reasonably simple way to ensure that the time is not shown except when specifically needed?

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I can't answer your BB10 questions and I'm not trying to talk you into Android, but your friend is not really correct. You can turn off all Google syncing. If you have a program (like Calengoo) that enables it's own Google syncing and you enable the setting to do so, then of course it will, but it is never, in anything that I have seen, as easy as "hitting a wrong button" if Google syncing is disabled in settings.

Just FYI.

3. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Thanks for clearing that up, Hook.

Would you have any comments on the protection of PDA data from other apps?

Other than that, would your impression be that Android stacks up well against my requirements? (I neglected to mention the need for voice recording, which is lower bandwidth than video recording, FM radio, and dialing numbers directly from contacts).

4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

By and large, most of the things you want to do, you can in Android. Much of Android operations and apps assume (as do iOS, WP8 and, I suspect, BB10) that you are going to use cloud functionality, but there are ways around it. Let this thread stick with advice about BB10. Look through the threads in the Android forum and you will see discussions of people coming from Palm (Scjjtt is a good poster to look for). You might then form some specific questions in a new thread.

Nothing out there is Palm. Sometimes that is bad news, but sometimes it is good news. I wouldn't trade my Nexus 4 for a return to the way Palm did things, but I know there were some things my Old TX was better at.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Android has stand-alone local voice recording; by and large one can easily dial a contact's number, depending on the specific app -- the tweaks added by manufacturers may add a step; the FM radio is available as a built-in on some phones, but not all (that means one can use the phone as an FM radio, without using any sort of data connection). My old DroidX had a built-in FM radio, as near as I can tell my galaxy S3 does not. There are, of course, any number of apps that allow you to use streaming internet services; these require data connection, either wifi or provided by your carrier.

6. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Thanks for that wrap-up, Hook.

Rick, thanks for your anecdotes on Android's voice recording, phone-dial from contacts, and (sometimes) data-less FM radio function.

7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

There aren't that many top-tier landscape slide-out models in any OS (sadly).

There are many apps for voice recording. The Times had a nice run-down in either Toolkit or App Smart. Check them out if you're interested.

I share your distaste for the cloud in many areas; but it's hard to get away from in some respects and probably going to be harder in the future.

8. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Yup, the cloud is ever so present. As long as there is a low-risk way to avoid it, I will consider it an option.

Thanks for the point to the voice apps, Edmund.

9. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

I just received shipment notification on my Q10. Should arrive June 5. After I figure out its new OS, I'll report in with a real world view.

Hook likes this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Oh, man. We've gotta wait 11 months for it? ;)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2