Does anyone besides me still use the iQue 3600?

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by cmthmpsn, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmthmpsn

cmthmpsn Mobile Deity

I still like my Betty, so I still use her. I'm just curious, as I had a small problem, which I just fixed with a Warm Reset. I was going to post a question on how to fix it, but while I was waiting for this web page to load, I decided to try the Warm Reset, and it worked. There will come a time when that won't work. So are the resident experts still hanging around here?

2. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

I'm no expert but I'm still hanging out here, as are a few others. There's another recent thread that Geoffers started just to see who's still checking in.

http://forum.brighthand.com/garmin/280475-evening-all.html

I'm still using mine. Actually I'm using a couple. I got a new 3600A off eBay a couple of years back. I call it Snoopy .. aviation model, Snoopy and Red Baron. :D It's now my primary device for GPS and PDA.

I still use my original Betty in the summer 4 or 5 days a week on the golf course with the Intelligolf program to get yardages and keep my score. She actually gets more, and harder, usage than the new one. With the backlight off and WAAS off and battery saver mode on I can get in a 4½hr round and still have 1/4 to 1/3 battery charge left. Those 2000mAh batteries of Paul's are amazing.

My Palm T|X gets occasional use but the digitizer is shot so it needs major recalibrating every time I do a reset. But it's handy if I want to use wifi for email, etc. and don't want to haul my netbook or laptop along.

I also broke down a year or so ago and bought a Nuvi 765T so I would have at least one nav device with the latest maps. I've subscribed to Garmin's lifetime updates for it.

And I have an eTrex Legend HCx that I use on my mountain bike and my motorcycles (yeah, I bought two motorcycles since we last talked in here ... decided to get back into it last June after 16 years).

I see you're still Over There. How much longer? Are you finding the GPS handy?

I'll trade you a little of the minus 40 windchill we had the past couple of days and some snow that is surplus to requirements for some sand and a bit of your heat. :newpalm:

...ken...

3. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

I'm pretty much iPhone with TomTom and their car mount for casual nav these days. Use my nuvi 765t for longer trips. (the garmin has better sat reception where there is interference with trees and mountains). I loved betty, but it was time to move on to more modern times.

Addendum: Actually, I also use my blackberry with its free sprint nav system locally for biz use. Its a small screen, and no stored maps, but it does the job when I'm looking for a local address I'm not familiar with. And, I always have it with me.

4. cmthmpsn

cmthmpsn Mobile Deity

Ken, I wish I had some sun and sand to send you. It's the rainy season here, so all we have is mud, muck, and miserable wet weather.

No, I'm not still in Iraq, I'm back in Iraq. I got home in January 2010, already knowing that my home unit had its Alert, and got off Active Duty in February 2010, after using my accrued Leave Days. I went back on Active Duty in August, went back on Federal Orders in September, and arrived at my new Duty Station in Iraq in November.

And I'm hating every minute of my current deployment. I'm not here as a Chaplain's Assistant, like I was the first time, and which is the job I would prefer to be doing. I'm here doing Admin crap, with a unit that is full of too much BS and favoritism. I can't wait to get home again at the end of the Summer.

5. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

I can relate to most of what you are seeing, Christina. ... Well, except for the rain and muck. It's all white around here. It got up to +3°C (37F) here today. I've been going through summer withdrawal for so long that I was tempted to drag my dirt bike out and go for a ride. :eek:

I worked for a Canadian phone company for nearly thirty years. What you are encountering is pretty much the standard operating environment in any large organization .. administrative/bureaucratic crap, BS and favoritism. It's all so petty. I had the good fortune to work in a professional environment for all of my career -- IT and Engineering -- so I was able to steer clear of a lot of it. But it's kind of like the electrical plugs or the paint on the wall ... just part of the environment. That's a sad commentary, isn't it?

How long is this rotation?

...ken...

6. cmthmpsn

cmthmpsn Mobile Deity

We went on Active Duty at home station in August 2010, went to some more training in Mississippi in September 2010, and got here to Iraq in November. We are scheduled to go home in late Summer 2011.

7. Ohiggins

Ohiggins Mobile Consultant

I still use my iQue on a daily basis - more than seven years now. Sometimes I meet the little problems I have been meeting all that time, but apart from that: it runs flawlessly!

8. Geoffers

Geoffers Baby Boomer!

Sadly, my iQue 3600 has been pensioned off now.

I use only my iPhone 4 with TomTom Western Europe for navigation these days!

9. JOhnJ

JOhnJ Mobile Consultant

Still use 2 Iques - especially for schedules, contacts, etc. Have a StrretPilot C330 for GPS since the maps in the IQue are outdated. It's a shame Garmin didn't upgrade the IQue - as far as I know there's nothing like it out there

10. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Mobile Deity

I use my 3600a everyday. I have a ton of useful software on it.
    As a backup I still have my 3600. Both are still working perfectly.
    But I am disappointed at Garmin for not making mapupdates available anymore.

spassovm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.