Does Anyone Actually Use the Android OS Word Completion?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Ed Hardy, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Jen Edwards and I were talking the other day, and I realized we both hate Android's word completion feature.

I keep hoping it will get better. I've just upgraded my Dell Streak to Android OS 2.2, so I left word completion on for a while. I've disliked this feature for a long time, but I keep hoping Google will fix it. Several days of use later, I once again find it slows me down rather than making typing easier.

About one time in 50 its insistence on suggesting the next word I might want to type comes in handy. The other 49 times it is just distracting.

And the system for handling any punctuation besides the period is horrible. It's like no one at Google ever puts a comma in a sentence, and sees no reason why anyone would really need to.

So I'm curious, do any of you actually use it?

p.s. I'm specifically talking about the Android OS version of word completion. I use the iOS version all the time, and I have no significant complaints. Which is part of the reason I'm so frustrated with the Android OS one, because I know it's possible to do it right.
    -

2. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

I never used it with the native keyboard. I use it with Swype, the HTC keyboard and Grafitti because it is pretty good in all those cases. I haven't touched the native Android keyboard since I descovered the HTC one (which was the first of the three I adopted).

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Ironically, the Times has a piece about turning the iPad auto-complete off because some users find it annoying too. I'm a 'manual' kind of guy. I've never used autocomplete for most things, so I'd probably want to turn it off too, no matter what the device.

4. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I actually use it and like it. But that being said, I don't know if what I'm liking and using is HTC, Sense UI, or Android, and to be honest I'm getting more, not less, confused about which is which.

But I not only like and use the auto-complete feature, I now rely on it.

5. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

I used it when I was using the standard keyboard, because it was so easy to mis-type a letter, and auto completion did a reasonable job of predicting what I meant to type.

But since I've "discovered" Graffiti (which I used extensively in my Palm days) for Android, I no longer need the auto-completion because I can write correctly, and more quickly than if I had to keep checking the suggested words -- in fact, without using auto-completion, I don't need to put my reading glasses on to see what I'm doing because I know it'll be near-enough right first time!

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm not sure if this is germane, but here's today's Dilbert:
    [​IMG]

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Classic! ^^^

8. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

One of the first things I did with my Defy was disable auto-complete. I know what I'm trying to type, dagnabbit!

9. buckyg

buckyg Mobile Deity

Yep, turned it off on my phone too. It kept fighting me on a lot of stuff, especially abbreviations. Was not worth the hassle.

10. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Don't know about Android (yet?) but the one on my Moto feature phone is about 50/50. I recall the ones on my old WM pdas were actually pretty good.

But that is one feature that works really well on blackberrys, lest anyone forget. I can rapidly mis-type and leave out apostrophes and the old BB dutifully cleans them up after me.

11. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

The only autocorrect/word suggestion I ever use is the one on my N800, and that's because it's easier than poking at the tiny keyboard for every letter with my finger (I'm too lazy to get the stylus out). Most people I know who have an iPhone or Android have turned the word completion off.

12. ryanmacmohan

ryanmacmohan Mobile Enthusiast

Yes, the android word completion is really irritating.. it is always gr8t to go for a secondary application for texting... eg swype, swiftkey, Adaptxt(android version will be out soon:) )

13. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

I never used it. Last time I used any predictive text was on my mitsubishi t250 circa 2000. Was impressed with it. Haven't been impressed since, until recently using swiftkey. I have it set to manual right now because I was skeptical when I installed it, but it's quite good. Even with punctuation.

I saw a twitter feed that was embedded next to a story I was reading in which a fairly major reporter referred to a group of people who had been asking about a story as "twerps". My eyes widened -- he was a reporter, not a pundit. As the widget scrolled, his next tweet cursed the ipad's autocomplete and corrected it as "tweeps". =) Can't remember which paper or even which reporter anymore, but I wonder if the two incidents were related.

14. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

Revisiting this thread after all this time, I have to say the Gingerbread word complete is outstanding. I rarely type more than 3 or 4 letters of a word. It is quite accurate, even with invented words (after learning) like "Hookette."

15. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

That and using Swype makes word completion and text input on Android even better then it was with PalmOS/TextPlus.

16. ryanmacmohan

ryanmacmohan Mobile Enthusiast

Please try swiftkey/swype/flex T9 they work much much better than the default android input system