Does a hard reset on Smartphone wipe the password/PIN code?

Discussion in 'General Windows Phone (Plus Windows Mobile, Pocket' started by Adama D. Brown, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I've never dealt much with this on WM Smartphones, and I was wondering if performing a hard reset (not just a "Clear Storage," but a full manual reset) also wipes the user password.
  2. Genjinaro

Genjinaro ~3rdPrty 4ehvur!~

On older (WM2003SE and below) devices I think so but on WM5 & 6 I think it is set very deep within the main memory (purposely) for additional protection.
    So it might not clear on newer devices...

Though I'm not 99.996% sure about that.. ;)
  3. snake eye

snake eye Palm Treo 750 user

I think so. I tried it with a Palm Treo 750 and it does not remember those things. Once you do a hard reset, it would basically bring the palm device back to it's original factory settings..
  4. JordanChris

JordanChris Mobile Enthusiast

Correct: HARD reset will remove all data and knowledge from the device, including the PIN, and put it back to the condition it was in when it left the factory.

The PIN is there to help protect the data (the knowledge within the data could be worth millions of dollars), not to prevent someone from using the device altogether (which is worth at most hundreds).
  5. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Thanks to everyone who answered.