Does 16-pin (unversal) to small usb adapter exist?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by imported_absolutic, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imported_absolutic

imported_absolutic Newbie

I am not sure if this question had been answered before.

I have a Tungsten E. All other Palms have 16 pin universal adapter.

I want to get a gps thing for the tungsten. it is specifically designed for palm but it has a 16-pin (universal palm) connector type.

Is there an adapter already to go from 16-pin (palm) to small usb (tungsten e) ? If you know of one would you please provide a link!

If there is not, that is really stupid. All the accessories have 16pin connection and tungsten e has usb, why not make an adapter between the two?

2. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

The GPS units for Universal connection are communicating to the Palm via serial interface. The T/E does not have serial connection only USB.

The universal connection is actually a two part connection and Palm units that utilize have both USB slave and serial (TIA/EIA-232) comm circuits. The Palm unit is only able to utilize only one interface at the same time.

pin # - signal name
    1 - Charge Ground
    2 - USB_D+
    3 - USB_D-
    4 - VBUS
    5 - HS_IRQ
    6 - unused
    7 - SG
    8 - ID
    9 - VOUT (+3.3 volts from the Palm to HS on cradle)
    10- RXD (in)
    11- TXD (out)
    12- Detect (peripheal attach/detach detection to pin 7)
    13- CTS (in)
    14- RTS (out)
    15- DTR (out)
    16- VCHRG (in) (+5 vDC +/- 5%

pins 2 - 4 are USB, and pins 10 - 15 are serial flow control.

3. imported_absolutic

Thank you Bab

In other words I did a really stupid thing by not thinking and buying a unit with no gps or wi-fi capabilities.

that is until SD GPS receivers (like the one from www.igolftech.com) hit the market at the end of 2004

4. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

It is always wise to make purchased based on what is capable at time of purchase, not what may be.

If you visit palmOne site for UK or another European listing, there has been a T/E - GPS pack listed. The GPS unit apparently handles communication to the palm's slave USB port. Have not seen much info if it will migrate to this side of the pond, but inquires may not hurt.

5. imported_absolutic

BAB thank you for pointing the uk site. The gps solution for palm tungsten e is advertised there on the front page. it is made by a company called kirrio and costs 429 euros including the receiver' the mounting kit, tungsten e unit, and the software.

http://www.kirrio.com/uk/index.php

It is not clear anywhere if the gps receiver is sold separately from the tungsten e, or it is a bundled solution only.

It also appears that the maps of European countries only are available at this time. It is not clear if they will provide the maps for the united states.

I emailed the kirrio company (which is French I think) will all these questions

6. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Mad Scientist

AFAIK they will sell the GPS unit separately in the near future.

7. imported_absolutic

in the mean time here is an email I got from palm usa when asking them about the 16-pin to usb converter:

Thank you for writing to palmOne™ Technical Support. This is Mohan and I am responding to your recent email.

We apologize for the inconvenience happened due to this issue. I understand that you are interested in GPS 16-pin port to USB converter. I sorry to say that there is no such converter to resolve your issue in the palm store. I would appreciate if you can contact palm on line store at : 800-881-7256 for the latest updates. However there are third party converter available which is not recommended by the palm.

[/I] What a useless email. It exists they dont recommend it but they dont say what its called

8. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

PalmOne doesn't recommend it because it won't do you any good. I could make up an adapter and sell it to you, but it would be useless for almost everything. It *will not* allow you to connect a GPS, because GPS receivers use serial connections, and your T|E has no serial port. The USB port is slave-only, so you can't connect any USB device to it unless it has built-in circuitry to make it a USB master. That's what the Kirrio unit does - it is a USB master device. That makes it more expensive than other comparable GPS units.

Basically, your T|E is incapable of use with any accessory other than IR.

9. mdovell

mdovell Mobile Deity

I wouldn't exactly say that as I thought there was a camera you can get in the sd slot..

10. Davebravey

Davebravey Brit abroad!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.