Do Europeans Want Treos?

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Palm, Inc. has made no secret of its plan to release a Windows Mobile-powered Treo in Europe in the near future. But one former Palm/PalmSource executive questions how well this device will do.

Michael Mace isn't European, but a recent post on Mobile Opportunity covers what his European friends have told him about their attitudes toward smartphones.

Mr. Mace says:

Go to lunch or dinner in any country in Europe, and when everyone sits down they'll take out their mobile phones and put them on the table.

Then everyone at the table surreptitiously checks out everyone else's phone. There's a subtle hierarchy of status associated with which phone you carry. I haven't decoded all of it yet, but definitely you get some extra status for having what's perceived to be a stylish phone. Brand also plays a role, although I think that varies from country to country.

I've been told by several European friends that slapping down a Treo on the table gets you labeled as a geek. And not a nice geek in the American sense (visionary and probably rich), but geek in the bad sense (socially misfit and physically underdeveloped). The keyboard, which American users tend to regard as a badge of business power and importance, comes across as pathetically computer-obsessed to a lot of folks in Europe.

Additional comments from Mr. Mace can be found on Mobile Opportunity, his personal blog.

More About Michael Mace&

Michael Mace&is the former Chief Competitive Officer and VP of Product Planning at Palm, the VP of Strategic Marketing at PalmSource, and director of Mac Platform Marketing at Apple.

He now works for Rubicon Consulting.

Related Articles

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Mr Mace's nice European friends are not wrong.

3. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Don't know where Mr. Mace's friends are located (probably UK, no offense Streaky ... ;) ) but where I live you try to keep your phone IN YOUR POCKET when you go to the restaurant. I have been in several other countries in Europe where more or less the same behaviour is respected.
    It is even percieved to be rude to use your phone while having lunch/dinner.

Observing Blackberries are starting to be used where I live, I do not understand why he claims a keyboard should be considered a handicap for Treo-like devices.

Me personally, I may want to have a Treo someday, but it has to be a 'p' :)

4. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Sorry holvy - you're right about everyone not slapping their telecomms packages on the table (and about how rude that is if they do it) but I think there is very much an application of style and geekiness to people based on their kit when it is exposed.

5. retrospooty

retrospooty Mobile Deity

Michael Mace is the former Chief Competitive Officer and VP of Product Planning at Palm, the VP of Strategic Marketing at PalmSource, and director of Mac Platform Marketing at Apple.

not a good track record as far as I am concerned...

Chief Competitive Officer and VP of Product Planning at Palm - This is while the world was passing Palm by, and Palm was resting on its M515 laurels.

VP of Strategic Marketing at PalmSource - You mean, the company that lost everything, and had to sell the rights to the Palm name back to PalmOne just to stay afloat?

director of Mac Platform Marketing at Apple. - Mac's have moved to the Intel platform (I am sure that descision was well before his time). Other than that recent development, Macs are stagnating, and so it their marketshare.

This guy is a yahoo... I cant beleive any large group of people would think of phones that way or life that way for that matter, outside of jr. High school. Seriosly, that is the mentality he described.

6. Michael Mace

Michael Mace Mobile Enthusiast

You're right, and I apologize if I offended anybody in Europe. It turns out the restaurant etiquette varies dramatically from country to country. Check out the comments people made to my post for some interesting examples.

Mike

7. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

Its good to see you posting here again Mike. I appreciate your blog and insights.

I do not live in Europe (Philidelphia USA) but I wish more people would learn to turn off their cell phones! I know this is just my pet peeve but at dinner, the golf course, a movie everyone answers their cell phone. Now even my patients will interupt my consult mid way through to answer a call! Drives me nuts! OK, I am done ranting ;)

8. r0k

r0k Dazed

I'll pick up the rant from here...

I can't stand folks who dawdle along in the fast or middle lane on the freeway. When I finally get around them, a quick glance confirms they are talking on their cell. And what about those rude folks who fear the people on the other end can't hear them so they are actually yelling into their phones and disturbing everyone? My phone almost always goes off at meals and when I'm on the toilet. It's like radar or something. It takes discipline to resist the urge to answer when I have my hands full. People assume I'm sitting there waiting for their call and they are rather annoyed when I put the phone down so I can finish pumping gas so it really would have been better to let the call go to voicemail.

My favorite place to use my phone used to be my car, but now my bluetooth is on the fritz so I avoid the phone while driving. Having the radio automatically mute and keeping my hands free and best of all having callers not know that I was in my car was nice while it lasted. Maybe the Verizon Treo updater 1.04 will let me use my bluetooth once more... ...I'm at firmware version 1.03 now and reluctant to mess with updating without a clear benefit...

Returning to the topic of cell phone rudeness, I have heard that theaters are looking into using special paint that impedes radio frequency reception so people won't be able to take calls during a film. Good!

Edit: BTW, nice article Michael. I don't mind if people think I'm geeky as long as my phone works well as a phone and I don't have to also lug along a pda with all my contacts and appointments. I don't care if it looks like an ipod, razr, or Treo as long as it works. While smaller is better, I need a high resolution screen. After keying in email using a phone keypad, I require a better method of data entry and the keyboard seems to be the best compromise right now, especially when you consider my dislike for graffiti. I've seen the phones on tables backfire and people forgot the take them with them. Nothing is worse than that awful realization that your phone has been left behind. I haven't traveled in Europe to witness the phone on table ritual you describe, but for the sake of keeping my phone and data safe I would elect to abstain.

Edit again: Yes the Treo should sell well in Europe for the same reason it sells well in the US. It is an excellent phone. The sooner they offer a Palmos version the better.

9. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Very considerate of you to stop by and make this comment ;)

10. hermann4711

hermann4711 Member

I live in germany, own an unlocked gsm-treo650 and would really like to get a new one (kind of 750p?) with umts and with more memory.
    I'm politician and have to work with and contact hundreds of persons who own and use a mobile-phone (in german a "handy").
    I saw only a few of those people taking their mobile-phone on the table in a restaurant or conference-room (or in parliament). The mobile-phones are usually hold in their pockets.
    There are only few treos among this, but if they see mine, I'm asked about it and have to tell about (and show) it's capabilities and then the most of them are really impressed. But the price ...
    In germany the most mobile-phones are bundled with a contract, so it doesn't cost a lot. Treos are not found in this bundles.
    So!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.