Do Android and iPhone users have different personalities?

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by jigwashere, Nov 27, 2016.

1. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

I had Iphone for 2 years before switching to Android, and even with both phones I use it mostly for shopping applications and phone usage. I'm so outlying I'm on a different planet :p

RickAgresta likes this.
  2. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

I read after posting a question on my consideration of moving from an Windows 8.1 Nokia 635 to a Android (5.1 I think) LG Rebel. Also would then change from a long time love affair with AT&T and move to Tracfone for service.

The "personality study" is almost a perfect match for me, save my reference to a windows starting point on SP. I'm an older, well, real old guy but a guy none-the-less and think I meet the stated male profile rather closely. I also have Windows and Android computers and tablets, not Apple. My reason: value with a large component being the cost difference.

I'm too old and wise to comment on the gender differences found in the study, but suspect the pollsters may have reached the similar conclusions on other things with a large cost disparity, e.g., cloths and shoes between men and women. In spite of the efforts in this country to Demand agreement that we are "all the same" the facts are that in general, men and women are different in many more ways than physical.

3. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Gee, you disappear for a while and ......... nothing changes.

Since this "study" appears in several publications, I would hope it was professionally done but there could be at least unintentional bias even then.

I've seen iPhones in the hands of just about everybody, even ditch-diggers, so I can't buy into the exclusivity thing. I work in an office with three male engineers, 30s to 60s, and, until recently, I was the only Android user (my boss switched).

iPhones tend to cluster in one price range. Androids go from nearly free to ridiculously expensive.

I dunno.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. r0k

r0k Dazed

At my job, they allow you to use your thumbprint to unlock your work phone if it is an iPhone but not if it's Samsung. So now about 99.8 percent of our engineers carry iPhones. Nothing to do with OS preference. Everything to do with convenience. I'm less than 3 months from retirement. I will no longer have to carry two iPhones around, my iPhone 7 and their iPhone 6. No more confusion of having two things paired to my Plantronics BT earpiece. No more waking two phones up to see which one buzzed.

One thing I've noticed is Apple broke calendar notifications with iOS 10.something. They won't admit it but they broke it. Sooner or later it will get fixed but for now, my work phone is no longer buzzing 10 times a day for meetings even though I've declined them. The down side is my personal iphone fails to buzz to remind me when it's time to leave for appointments so I have to keep checking it during the day.

Personality? I'm a tinkerer so I would hypothetically be a better fit for Android but I'm also a person who craves the simplicity of a flip phone combined with the ability to browse the web, do navigation, check email, take photos, etc. So I put up with whatever arcane rules Apple is shoving down my throat at the moment for the convenience of having a "data toaster" instead of futzing with Cyanogenmod or whatever I'd have to resort to to get Android working just the way I would like it to work. I too notice iPhones in the hands of just about everybody. The last time I was in Korea, I often saw more iPhones than Samsungs on the Seoul subway in the morning. Considering Apple doesn't even have a store in Korea, that's saying something.

Price? Now that Apple is offering no-interest financing of iPhone (as long as you don't mind that they throw in the cost of AppleCare), I think the iPhone is quite affordable though still not competitive with some of the cheapest Android phones. I see some bargain basement carriers offering 4 or even more free Android phones to win business but I don't see equivalent offers of any flavor of iPhone.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Jeff, does the broken alarm feature extend to 3rd party alarm/reminder apps, too? I realize it's an added inconvenience but ......

and a BIG congrats on your impending retirement

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

We'll have to throw you a big retirement party, r0k! Congratulations.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, Mi An, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

This is totally true in my family. My brother-in-law, and my wife - Textbook definitions of extroverts. How we ever wound up with extroverts in our family, I'll never quite know (love em though!) My dad, sister, and I are all textbook introverts. My brother-in-law and wife are iPhone users, and the rest of my smartphone wielding family are Android users.

r0k, lelisa13p, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.