Do Android and iPhone users have different personalities?

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by jigwashere, Nov 27, 2016.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I thought this article was kind of interesting/funny:

Do Android and iPhone users have different personalities?
    Android and iPhone devices are currently dominating the global smartphone market. Although the two brands offer similar functionality, their marketing campaigns aim at different consumer segments. New research tests personality differences in Android and iPhone users.
    Smartphones started to become popular in 2007, with the advent of the first iPhone.

Since then, smartphone sales have increased exponentially. Between 2011-2013, there was an increase of over 50 percent in smartphone sales worldwide.

In the United States, 64 percent of adults are reported to now own a smartphone. Compared with 2011, this number has almost doubled.

The smartphone market is divided between Android devices and iPhones, with the latest numbers indicating Android devices dominate the market share with 87.6 percent, and iPhone devices rank second, with 11.7 percent.

Although Android and iPhone devices are functionally very similarly, their marketing campaigns are very different.

New psychological research aims to uncover some of the personality differences between iPhone and Android users.

Key personality differences among smartphone users
    The study was a collaborative effort between the University of Lincoln, Lancaster University, and the University of Hertfordshire, all in the United Kingdom.

The study asked 500 participants to answer a set of questions about themselves and their attitude toward their smartphone.

The comparison showed that iPhone users are more than twice as likely to be female.

Additionally, iPhone users are more concerned about viewing their iPhone as a status object than their Android counterparts, and increasingly so. However, they are less concerned with owning devices that are preferred by most people.

The study noted key differences in personality, with iPhone users showing lower levels of honesty and humility, and higher levels of emotionality.

iPhone users were also more extroverted than Android users.

In contrast, Android users were more likely to be male, older, and less interested in wealth and social status. Among key personality differences to iPhone users, those with Android devices displayed more honesty and agreeability.

They were also less likely to break rules for personal gain.

The findings have been published in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behaviour, and Social Networking.

Computer program predicts smartphone choice
    Based on the findings, researchers were able to design and test a computer program aimed at predicting the type of smartphone users owned.

When tested, the computer model predicted smartphone ownership at above chance levels.

"In this study, we demonstrate for the first time that an individual's choice of smartphone operating system can provide useful clues when it comes to predicting their personality and other individual characteristics."

Co-lead author Dr. David Ellis, Lancaster University

Heather Shaw, co-lead author of the study, adds: "It is becoming more and more apparent that smartphones are becoming a mini digital version of the user, and many of us don't like it when other people attempt to use our phones because it can reveal so much about us."

r0k, scjjtt, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

I assume there were no rooters on the survey... :vbwink: :vbrolleyes: :vbgrin:

It's too bad the article is behind a paywall (and I do mean pay :vbeek:) because I'd like to see their methodology, including sampling techniques and instruments (questionnaires) used. This would be very tricky, both because of the disparity of the population (11.7% vs 87.6%) and the questionable assumption that all Android users are in one bucket. What would happen if you separated out Flagship Samsung owners or even just flagship owners?

Love to see the computer runs and prediction results. Is it simply predicting iPhone users and assuming everything else is Android?

Just curious.

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I love being categorized as "shallow" and "likely to break rules for personal gain".

Codswallop.

z22 2006 User, r0k, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

lelisa13p, r0k and scjjtt like this.
  5. r0k

r0k Dazed

Well I guess I'd better schedule the gender change surgery since I'm (presently) a guy and an iPhone user. Darn. I had enjoyed being a guy so much. Oh well. I'm certainly not about to switch to Android just to keep my gender! :eek: ;) :eek: :p

6. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Heeheehee... Indeed, my nephew & I are very different in a lot of ways. But he's getting better... :p

7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Well I'm a female android user...maybe we cancel each other out?

8. r0k

r0k Dazed

Does this cancellation involve soft music, a glass of wine... Oh never mind. Just broke up with my girlfriend so my mind tends to wander... :D

9. Gustavo Woltmann

Gustavo Woltmann Newbie

well I have an Iphone and I think that I get along mostly with the people with Iphone, I know it sounds weird but I noticed this and I had to mention it in this thread.

Regards,
    -Gustavo Woltmann

10. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

The article doesn't say, AFAICT, that all smartphone owners, iPhone or Android, have any traits at all. Only that the odds are a little higher one way or the other.

JRakes likes this.