Dmitry's at it again! Custom TX Rom! (TX2)

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by WyreNut, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

He's made a custom TX ROM file, with an installer program available for download.

It removes some of the "unwanted" files (Addit, Jake Coco video, launcher backgrounds, etc.) and adds in: Filez, NetFront V3.1 (browser), Voice Memo, Drive Mode, and some selected backgrounds for the Launcher.

This is still a work in progress, and an amazing one at that! Drive Mode seems to not be working on several poster's reports, and he's going to update the ROM file to remove "Quick Tour" soon.

An interesting read: http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112779

WyreNut

2. Scrabbler

Scrabbler Mobile Consultant

I think it's pretty cool that he's got enough knowledge of the internals to do that sort of thing. Would I use it? No thanks.

3. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Former TX/Ipaq 210 User

WyreNut,
    Have you tried this yet? Do you think you will? What advantages do you think this will have for us? Thanks I really value your opinion.
    Mick

4. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

I'm going to wait a bit for the first couple bug fixes and modifications. I have no use for Quick Tour and would like to get rid of it. Once he gets Drive mode running correctly (the problem posters may have a conflicting app, who knows) I think that would be a cool addition to the TX... Almost makes it a "T5X" :)

It's also being discussed whether this can lead to more DB cache memory available! This would be a great improvement to the TX!

Gotta admit, Dmitry is one sharp cookie!

WyreNut

5. Mickeylittle

Thanks for the input. If you can post us whenever it's ready to go.

6. Mickeylittle

Also do you think netfront is better than blaser? I lot of people complain about Blaser but it seems to work ok for me.

7. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

I can understand why you would want to get rid of Quick Tour or AddIt or any other ROM apps you don't ever use, which are just taking up space, but I guess I don't understand the advantage to having apps such as FileZ or Drive Mode in ROM. For that matter, I don't understand the reason to have any apps in ROM other than the operating system itself and what ever else might be required to operate the PDA while you restore from a backup or while you initially install whatever apps you care to install. Maybe Wyrenut or someone else can enlighten me. TIA

8. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

Well if a program is in ROM it will still be there even after a Hard Reset and will not take up User available space. I know that this was really important when there was less room back in the glory days of 8 and 16MB memory. My T|X has plenty of space to load up the apps.

I still like the creativity though ;)

9. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

Wyrenut;

Between you and Dmitrygr, y'all should start your own handheld company ;)

10. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

I see. Then the reason for removing apps such as Addit and Quick Tour from ROM would be to make room in ROM for the apps such as FileZ and Drive Mode I presume?

I guess I was thinking that the only thing I need after a hard reset is the ability to restore a backup from my SD card or the ability to install whatever I like using HotSync with the PC.