DIY Screen Protection

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by cravaus, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cravaus

cravaus Mobile Enthusiast

I have used the screen protectors many years and I think I have used them all. The last one I got, I forget the name, was highly rated and was made of a polymer that was supposed to be used on military helicopter blades! That sounded cool. I tried that. It felt like glass to write on. It was a very rigid thin piece of clear plastic that was applied with a spray. It worked great until it scratched after a couple months and then it scratched all over the place. I think it was around $30. It is supposed to have a life time guarantee but I do not want to wait for a new one to be sent every couple months. I have tried other expensive ones too looking for the perfect item. I do a lot of writing on my device and it is almost always on.

On the Aximsite or Mobilitysite a few years back a post was made on a DIY method for screen savors: The recommendation was to use clear vinyl sheeting (apparently used to cover table clothes) from a fabric store. The writer said that it was the best he had used.

I tried it three weeks ago. I went to Joanne’s Fabrics by my home. I asked about the stuff and they knew what it was. They took me to the back of the store. They had about 5 different thicknesses. I found the thinnest available (4 mill thick). It is sold in a bolt and bought by the yard. $3.50 got me a square yard! It feels a lot like the thickness and consistency of the material used for Screen Guardz only a little slicker and stiffer. It looked a little wrinkly and I also noticed that there was a coating or a substance on the material. I was not sure if it would work. For $3.50 it seemed worth the risk.

To cut the screen protector, I made a template for the screen by cutting a rectangle out of a piece of flat plastic board (an old plastic clip board I had). I cut it a little bigger than needed then I carefully sanded the sides down with fine sand paper so the template just fit snugly into the screen. I used the template to cut out a piece of the vinyl. I cut it to size with a utility knife. The vinyl stuck to my plastic template with static cling.

I washed off the apparent coating on the vinyl with hot water and dish soap. It became really soft with the hot water and flattened out. Then I put it back on to the block I used as my template. It stuck to it with static electricity. Then I placed the block with the vinyl onto the screen by carefully lopping down about a ½ inch lip of the vinyl from my template. I then stuck it to a screen edge then pealed it back smoothing it out with a credit card for a perfect fit and no bubbles! I sticks with static electricity like screen gardz. It works great. It is a little rubbery like the Screen Guardz but with less grab on the stylus.

Then I took a small drop of FinishLine synthetic oil used for bicycle chains (get it at a specialty bike shop). I rubbed it into the vinyl with my fingers thoroughly and then wiped it off with a cloth. It has made writing on the screen feel fluid and smooth. I use Calligrapher for my SIP and I really enjoy handwriting on the device with this method. I think the clarity is very good. So I am sticking with the DIY method. $3.50 has produced more than 100 screen protectors. After two weeks there is no sign of wear. Even if there was any wear, It would be no big deal to switch it out. This is my screen saver solution. I hope it is helpful to someone.

2. frquixote

frquixote Mobile Deity

I also use the vinyl. I used the same piece on my Palm TX for the 2.5 years I had it. I put a piece on my HP iPaq 210 in March 2008 and it is still crystal clear. The FinishLine is an interesting idea ... have to give it a try.

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

great post! I've already saved it locally, and to my TX. Thanks for the tip :newpalm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.