Displaying News Articles in the Forums

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by Ed Hardy, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

In the past, all news articles published on Brighthand were mirrored in the Headlines Forum. Going forward, only a brief summary of each article will be placed in that forum, with a link to the full article on the regular site.

This change is in response to one of Google's policies that we only learned of recently. When this company indexes this site and finds the same content in two slightly different forms in two different places, it regards this as an attempt to artificially inflate how much content we have, and penalizes us for it.

We're not trying to trick anyone, just make out articles easier for forum readers to find, but we've decided that our Google Ranking is too important for us to do anything to lower it. That's why we're going to stop mirroring articles in the Headlines Forum.

I'm sorry if this inconveniences some of you, but I hope you understand why we're making this change.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Have to go with the stream. Otherwise, sooner or later, the ranking is gonna hit somewhere painful.

Ed, how about keeping some sort of link or open door of sorts, to discuss the headlines news in the forum, without the mirroring practice. I mean, we could start a thread named "About the article no. XXXXX -- get to the Headlines to learn which one is it..." You know, some kind of practice that specifically avoids repeating the article.

Anyway, if it is unavoidable, we will adapt :(

3. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

That practice is already done; however it usually points to the forum for a discussion since the links are usually meant to target discussion to headline news versus splinters all over the place.

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

How does this affect the practice of posting items in the forums that are simply links to new reviews, news items, etc.?

I've mentioned before that, typically after the weekend, there are several redundant items that pop up when one searches for 'new posts' under 'Find Posts.' These are typically just line items that include a link to the new review, new headline, etc.; and not the full text of the news item or review. The link typically points to another forum item.

Personally, I don't think I ever saw a complete news item recapitulated in full in the 'Headline' forum. Perhaps that's because I typically go straight to the forums/discussion since it's all there (or was). I rarely, if ever, go to the BH homepage first.

I do like the idea that at least a link will be in place under 'headlines' as a placeholder of some kind. Thanks.

5. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I probably won't read as many articles, but it's not like I post on topic now in Headlines, so no real loss for BH. ;)

I completely understand your reasoning though. I hope the change helps. Viva la BH.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015