Discussions About Software Keyboards? (2019 -)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by raspabalsa, Feb 4, 2020.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I've been using Swiftkey for years, but I don't use it when connected to a hardware keyboard (Apple Portable Keyboard), because I use the External Keyboard Helper app when connected to the BT keyboard so it can properly remap the keys. This great app hasn't been upgraded in over 4 years, but it still works on my S10+ and Android 10.

A feature I love in Swiftkey is that I can match languages and layouts as I wish. I keep two languages active (Spanish and English) and both are set to use the QWERTY Spanish layout, that way I have the "ñ" and accents available on either language. This way I don't have to switch languages or layouts under Swiftkey. I can simply write in whichever language I want, then write in the other even within the same sentence. Prediction and correction work very well, and I seldom have to go back and manually correct something. I occasionally try other keyboard apps (Gboard, Chrooma, LG's or now Samsung's built-in, etc) and none give me the same functionality. Bravo indeed for Swiftkey :newpalm:

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I haven't used Swiftkey in a long time, even though I have it installed. I previously used Swype and loved it. Gboard is okay, but prediction and correction aren't nearly as good as Swype was. Maybe I should give Swiftkey another shot! I didn't know it was purchased by Microsoft.

scjjtt likes this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Okay, I tried Swiftkey for a couple of days. I don't like it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Just curious why. It seems okay compared to Gboard for the few times I am using it for a soft keyboard-- mostly I'm using it for suggestions with the Physical keyboard.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Swiftkey struggled to correctly identify my swipes. I was rarely able to complete a sentence where I didn't have to go back and make multiple corrections. It was very frustrating. I also switch over to voice entry on occasion, and Gboard makes that a bit more accessible with a large icon. On Swiftkey, the microphone icon is on a smaller key and requires a long press to activate. I know that it takes time to acclimate to different keyboard, but I honestly thought I gave it a couple of weeks when in fact, it was only a couple of days. It hurt that bad. :)

6. raspabalsa

I very rarely use voice input, so I actually find the mic key conveniently placed on SwiftKey. I did reduce the long press duration from the default of around half a second (can't remember what it was exactly) to 1/4 second. I just tried and this makes the voice input panel pop up very quickly. I find this long press duration much more convenient than the default to quickly access accented characters (á, é, í, etc) and special symbols such as +, #, [,], etc. without the need to switch to the symbols keyboard.

As for swipes, I never liked this input method. Tried it a few times on several software keyboards, never could get used to it. I tend to follow the swipes with my eyes in a very conscious manner and this gets uncomfortable very quickly. When tapping I seldom have to look at the keyboard.

RickAgresta, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  7. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

To be honest,I prefer Gboard as a soft keyboard and agree swiping is much better on Gboard (and yes, when I use soft keyboards I prefer swiping for input as it is much faster). I think my preference for Gboard comes down to having used it for years. I suspect swiping is subject to learning algorithms, so I think that is a factor in how much "better" Gboard seems.

Now, however, I am using an onscreen keyboard so little, I'll keep SwiftKey just for the suggestions for the physical keyboard. :)

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm going to give Swiftkey yet another chance. I'm going to play with themes and other settings while checking out other tips.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hook, raspabalsa and RickAgresta like this.
  9. raspabalsa

Every 6 months or so I install several keyboard apps and try them again, to see if I find any of them superior to SwiftKey for my needs. Last time was when I got the S10+ about a month ago. I tried Gboard, Fleksy, and Chrooma. Still found SwiftKey to be better for me, mostly because it allows using two languages at the same time with the same layout and with predictions working very well even when mixing languages on the same sentence or paragraph:

Estoy escribiendo this paragraph switching from un idioma al otro sin tener que change the language or any other configuración de SwiftKey. Simplemente configuré ambos languages, Spanish and English, under SwiftKey's settings to use el teclado QWERTY with the Spanish layout, es decir con "ñ", keeping both languages habilitados al mismo tiempo. Works de maravilla! :cool: :D

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

if I ever find myself in a position where I can't use MessagEase, I'll give your excellent strategy a shot, raspy. for an on-screen keyboard, particularly in Android (iOS, not so much), the folks behind it add new features and keep it relevant. I'm not a fan of spellcheck, it doesn't mind if I turn it off; it supports macros (most of the comics I post in Out of Context Quotes, I do from my S5 or tablet; given I don't use the forum interface that scjjtt and hc use, I have macros to enter the image tags, rather than typing
    {img }{/img} for every image. if I've collected a good few, '5i' lets me enter that pair of tags 5 times..and, yes, the tags I have listed in this post substitute curly brackets for the square brackets, to fool the forum sw). for anyone interested:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.exideas.mekb&hl=en_US

jigwashere, Hook and raspabalsa like this.