Digitizer problem, but password required

Discussion in 'Palm' started by CEB, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Hello. Although I've moved to the dark side (WM), a friend of mine has a problem with his TX. The digitizer needed recalibration but it didn't work properly. He turned the TX off and on, but now he’s stuck at the password screen because he can’t enter the password on the in-screen keyboard.

The 'Password Hint' area of the screen is offset to the left on the digitizer, but none of the screen keyboard letters work (even with the same offset). They cause a bleep, but the cursor doesn't move across the screen.

Is there any way to recalibrate the digitizer without entering the password? Or does anyone have any other suggestions.

He has done a soft reset and a warm reset but they don't help. He could do a hard reset, but there is a D2G file in RAM that he needs. We have realised that it has never been sync'ed to the PC. The D2G conduit is set to sync, but I suspect that in D2G on the TX, this particular file didn't have the sync icon next to it in the documents list.

Any ideas, please?

2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

You more or less explored all paths. Difficult call ...

OK, wild suggestion ...

Download PowerDigi from PalmPowerups.
    Install to SD card in folder /Palm (NOT /Palm/Launcher !!) and rename to start.prc

What I am hoping that will happen is that when you insert the SD card in TX it will find start.prc and autorun it. PowerDigi is a lot more accurate for recalibrating the digitizer.
    If this works and you are able to get passed the passwd screen, retrieve that file ASAP.
    Then make sure the hotsync process gets up and running.
    Then install NVBackup (it creates mere zip files, so even if your device crashes, you can always retrieve files that way).

BTW maybe stupid question: that D2G file doesn't happen to be on SD card, does it ? Could be quite easy to retrieve otherwise :rolleyes:

3. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

H, thanks. Good question, but no, the D2G file is not on the SD card.

Will start.prc run for a card before PalmOS requests the system password?

Another question, although I think the answer is no, does Hotsync keep a copy of a D2G file in the user folder on the PC (even in a .prc file that we might be able to use later)?

4. holvoetn

I am not sure if the passwd screen will be bypassed. My logical assumption is not but it is worth the attempt, no ?

You could try searching /backup or /archive folders under his PalmDesktop/[hotsyncID] tree ... the pdb might be there.

5. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Yes, worth a try. I found the app, DL'ed it, renamed it and emailed it to him with instructions. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks.

I've asked him to search his PC too. Before a hard reset, I'll get him to make a backup copy of his PC's Palm folder just in case.

Thanks again.

6. wozofoz

wozofoz Time Traveller

Hi, a few enter Password, wild shot ideas:

Did you try turning on Grafitti Anywhere (3rd icon from the right on the bottom bar) and write the Password on the screen?

Another wild shot is, does your friend use an external keyboard wiith the TX?
    If yes and the driver will turn on when it recognises the keyboard, then turn the TX Off then On while in range of the keyboard and start typing the Password.

Good luck :)

All the best, woz of oz

7. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Not sure about the grafitti option (I've never used grafitti), but I'll tell him.

He doesn't have a BT keyboard, but good suggestion.

Just wondering whether any apps that mount the TX as a drive would work. At least he could find the file he needs and copy it before Hard Reset to deal with the digitizer problem.

8. holvoetn

You would still have to pass the passwd screen to enable that app ;)

9. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Oh poo! :-(

10. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Here's an update from my friend:

Thanks very much for all your efforts so far - much appreciated!

Tried the SD card idea but it doesn't auto run. Did a few soft resets + a warm one
    Searched [PC] but couldn't find the file anywhere [snip]. Have come to the conclusion that it never sync'd the D2G file I want. It's not the end of the world to do a hard reset, but no guarantee that it'll solve the problem [with the digitizer]
    If a 'scroll' round the bottom area of the screen with the pen, occasionally I get a digit come up. Also, keep tapping in different areas has brought up the Graffiti screen but can't do anything on it

Thanks and will keep looking at posted replies before resigned to a hard reset.