Diff between my National 1000 plan and new Mobile Share plans?

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by tbessie, May 4, 2014.

1. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

I'll remember that when I talk to them. I always buy my own devices so I have no need for an upgrade plan, as Hook says.

lelisa13p likes this.
  2. tbessie

Waaahhhhhl, ahhl jus' dew whut them nahce folkses at ATNT tells me, yup yup yup.

lelisa13p, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

.[​IMG]

4. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

They're just trying to get you to pay extra.

5. tbessie

Are you saying that if I change to the newer plan, I'll end up paying extra? In what way, if I don't care about device subsidies?

6. Adama D. Brown

I mean AT&T's "Next" plan. You already have a subsidy on your account, which is better than Next. If you signed up for Next, they would add an extra fee for the phone on TOP of the money for the subsidy that you're already paying.

If you really don't care about subsidies, you could switch to something like AT&T's Cricket sub-brand, where you can get unlimited talk, text, and 2.5 GB of data for $50 per month.

7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Adama, wouldn't next be cheaper if you bring your own phone, since you just pay for the service and not the subsidy or the amortized cost of the phone...or is that just how Verizon does it (service+any phone payment plan cost=monthly cost)

8. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Actually, I think the AT&T Gophone Smartphone plans are, in the long run, a better deal than most of the AT&T MVNOs, though slightly pricier. For $60 you get unlimited talk and text and 2.5 GB LTE data with the ability to add 1GB increments for $10 (no throttling), tethering, good CS and (from what I can tell) the same coverage as their contract plans. The $40 plan (which I use) is 500 minutes, unlimited texting and 500 MB data, to which you can add 100MB for $5. I've not seen any deal yet which makes jumping to an MVNO to save a few bucks seem worth it.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. Adama D. Brown

Except that AT&T's value plans aren't tied to the Next upgrade system; Next is simply a lease on a new phone. BYOD is separate from Next. It's the same basic system Verizon now has, they're just trying to tell him that to upgrade he should go to Next. Even though he has the option of a subsidy, or using his own phone and getting lower prices.

There are some comparable options. Straight Talk gives you full AT&T network access including LTE and 3 GB of data per month (throttled after that, not limited, so there are no overages) for $45. Cricket, which is wholly owned by AT&T, gives you unlimited talk and text with 2.5 gigs of data (again throttled, not capped) starting at $45 a month and featuring discounts for multiple lines.

10. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

I'm just saying, I don't find the minor cost difference worth switching for, in many cases bad CS. I also think it's ambiguous whether even AT&T's MVNOs have the same priority on all networks. I don't use CS often, but when I do it is usually important. When I got my Nexus 5 I wasn't getting LTE even after they gave me a new SIM and reprovisioned it. CS took data from my phone and collected data from my local cell towers and sent the data to their center in Washington state and the next morning I had LTE. I'm happy where I am.