Diff between my National 1000 plan and new Mobile Share plans?

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by tbessie, May 4, 2014.

1. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

Hey all...

So I've had a 1000 minute National plan on AT&T for years; it has a smartphone data plan attached (2gb), and it comes out to more than $120/month.

The ads for the new Mobile Share plans make it sound like I could get everything I'm getting now for $65/month. Is there any actual difference between these plans and what I get in the older, traditional plan?

- Tim

2. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

If you don't have unlimited data I think you would do much better on the new plans. But I would call ATT and confirm.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  3. tbessie

I will... I'm just worried there are "ulterior motives" AT&T has for this newer pricing structure.

One blogger said it's part of AT&T's strategy of shifting charges to content providers to unthrottle them (i.e. ending net neutrality). Don't know if that would be attached to particular data plans or not.

Sent from my Nexus 5

4. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Part of the difference is that your current plan is almost certainly qualified for a phone subsidy, whereas Mobile share is bring-your-own-device or requires you to buy a phone for extra cash. So that's a good $20 a month they can knock off the bill.

Also, I'm guessing that you've probably cited your current phone bill after all of the added fees? You could well be seeing another $20 worth of fees on your current bill compared to the "list price" of your plan, so figure that that $65 a month is probably going to end up being more like $85 after everything.

That said, if you're looking at switching you may still want to check out the alternatives. For instance some of the MVNOs on the AT&T network offer unlimited talk and text with smartphone data for even less. I'm going to be writing a comparison of some of these very shortly.

Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  5. tbessie

Yeah, it has the "get a new device" subsidies thing (though the upgrade path on my account now looks like it's the new "Next" plan, which I think costs extra).

Yes - actually, it's more like $140 after all the fees. :-(

Looking forward to it!

- Tim

6. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Since you buy your devices outright (you are using a Nexus 5, right?), you might really want to consider going to Gophone. For $60/month, no contract, you get 2.5 GB LTE data (an can add 1GB increments for $10 each if you really need it) with unlimited voice and text and no fees. Plus, you still get good CS.

I don't know if your tablet has a cellular radio as well or how that might change your options, but AT&T also has PAYG tablet plans. I pay $25 for 3 months with 1GB data which I hardly use. ;)

YMMV, obviously. And, as far as I can tell these days, Gophone Smartphone plans (as opposed to the Pay as you Go plans you aren't supposed to use on a Smartphone) have the same coverage as contract plans.

RickAgresta, tbessie and jigwashere like this.
  7. tbessie

I'll give AT&T a call and discuss the various options; hopefully they will be knowledgeable and honest about any hidden differences between plans. :-/

- Tim

Hook and scjjtt like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

That's funny! :D

lelisa13p, tbessie, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  9. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Bwahahahaaaaaahaaaa!!!!!!! No, seriously, what are you going to do? :D :p

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I have (forcefully) declined the Next Plan each time I've had to discuss anything regarding my bundled AT&T accounts. (I don't want to trade my phones in when it's time to upgrade since I pass my last one on to my Son.) Feel free to disagree with them if they try to "help" you with that, if you don't want it. :newpalm:

RickAgresta and Hook like this.